cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Nbn technician charge

Hi we changed internet, home phone and 2 x mobile connections in January. When purchasing the Optus nbn service I was assured that there would be no set up charges as the nbn was able to be activated remotely. As with many others that I have read, the activation did not happen on the date and was unable to be done remotely and a technician would have to come to the house in 2 weeks time!! No internet or home phone for 2 weeks and hours of chatting and calling to get any answers. 

Eventually it was connected and I have now been slugged with $300 subsequent line fee 2 months later!! 

Anyone else have a similar issue? 

It seems that the original sales persons promise of remote activation  together with the no set up costs was either wrong or untrained or an outright lie. I am very disappointed with my decision to go in contract with Optus. I have recorded a complaint and am awaiting a call in the next 3-5 business days. 

7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Nbn technician charge

Was this a new estate?

If so - this is a government fee.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/develop-or-plan-with-the-nbn/new-developments/government-policy-for-new-dev...

• nbn is required to charge the phone and internet service provider, Retail Service Provider (RSPs), that place an order for an nbn™ network service to premises in a new development a one-time charge of $300 inc GST. Service providers may choose to pass the charge on to end-users.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Not a new area, our house was built 20 years ago. I understand the fee but am debating the fact that I was told a technician was not necessary and others that have had technicians out with Optus have not been charged this. 

Thanks for your reply 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Sorry to hear of your experience there, Suspickers. What was the charge itemised as on your bill? If it is a new development fee as Paddylee mentioned above, this is charged by NBN Co and then passed onto you in the activation process.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply

the charge is stated as a subsequent install ( new line) 

the house is not in a new development therefore was told when ordering the Optus service that nnn could be activated remotely. 

I am yet to here back regarding my complaint and are very disappointed with Optus customer service and  sales sttaff 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Did your home have an ADSL connection prior to NBN being installed? If so, NBN should be able to waive the fee but we will have to raise the issue with them first.

Your NBN was most likely activated remotely, there would be a different charge of $140 if a professional install was required.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply 

we have had adsl internet in this house for the past 15 years. So yes we have had adsl with another provider for along time with no hassles. 

A technician did come to the house on the second attempt to activate the nbn connection after the first and promised remote activation was apparently not avaialable. 

What do I need to do now to get this fee waived? 

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

The new development fee definitely shouldn't apply if you had ADSL. The usual process to get this resolved is to raise the issue with NBN and provide your old landline number as evidence of the connection. They will then waive the fee.

I can follow up on this for you, please feel free to send me a private message with your account number, full name and DOB. I'll run through the account notes and escalate as required.