Searching...
Highlighted

NSW 2205 - High Latency, 600kpbs upload on a 40Mbit connection (HFC)

fatmario

I've been experiencing for quite a while issues with my connection.

Latency goes very high and i get constant drop outs. 

I've monitored the network performances from two spots an ethernet connected server and a wireless connected phone and computer.

Findings are the same I constantly find the connections go in timeout for few seconds, modem does not drop the calbe connection neither does the router+wifi (R6400v2 may be the hardware?)

ethernet, wifi mobile, wifi mac => router 100%

ethernet, wifi mobile, wifi mac => modem 100%

ethernet, wifi mobile, wifi mac => 8.8.8.8 between 75% and 80% at times constantly dropping out.

Wifi to Internet

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 70 packets received, 30.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 10.523/21.207/59.421/11.084 ms

Wifi to Router

--- 192.168.24.252 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.690/2.178/8.583/1.401 ms

Eth to Internet

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 67 received, 33% packet loss, time 99721ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.360/22.534/55.829/10.386 ms

Eth to Router

--- 192.168.24.254 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 received, 0% packet loss, time 101321ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.259/0.321/0.481/0.032 ms

This happens at very weird times, like 12.12am Smiley Happy  I would expect it to happen at peak time, but also seen it happening during the day. is intermittent in the symptoms and constant in the happening.

Upload is incredibly bad, sometimes lowering in the fast.com speedtest to 300kbps.

Download speed is usually between 7 and 30 - but always been. of course with crappy upload speed the network does not work at all.

This connection always been troublesome at the point that playing online is impossible during the weekend.

1st April my contract expires, too bad I have too choose between this connection or 2Mbit ADSL, cause of course my cable is Optus Smiley Sad

Anybody around with the same issues?

Re: NSW 2205 - High Latency, 600kpbs upload on a 40Mbit connection (HFC)

petergdownload

What suburb and Street are you in?

Peter Gillespie

fatmario

Forest Road

2205 ARNCLIFFE NSW

petergdownload

Thanks,

You said 1st April your contract will expire? That's next year (you're still under contract)?

Optus cable or ADSL won't be an optiuon for you though. Seems the NBN should arrive in your street in around five months perhaps sooner. You'll be getting FTTC (lucky you).

Given the Optus cable will be torn down its my suspicion that many Optus HFC areas are not being maintained or updated much these days (perhaps understandably). Its not uncommon for reports of issues to climb as an area nears NBN Ready status. That said, there could be a simple fix and it worth reporting to Optus direectly for investigation. HFC generally does upload better than download, so a big issue here might be easy to track down.

Peter Gillespie

fatmario

Sure,

In 5 months skyes will be blue, birds will be chirping, sun will shine and pigs will fly.

They can't maintain their HFC Network do you believe I trust them with NBN? It is a sh*t box race in NSW for NBN. So disgraceful.

They HFC Network may be not maintained, but I still pay close to 100$ a month for this unreliable bad connection. 

Should I stop paying and start again in few months?

The unbearable incompetence of Australian ISP is unbelievable. Italy, a 3rd World Country, has better services and reliability than Australia with infrastructure almost 60 years older. I call Support, they call me back in 2/3 days everything goes fine for two weeks then down again.

I've previously proven rhe unreliability of the connection on multiple occasions. I just have to accept the fact that I don't matter.

petergdownload

Yeah, everyones a bit skeptical abou the NBN, however IMO/IME the schedule is largely being kept to these days. The rollout was always intended to ramp up to quite astonishing numbers (more than 60,000 households each week being connected these days). Sure there have been some set back and massive stuff ups (to this day I still don't understand why NBNCo decided to publish installation dates years ahead of time. Just a recipe for certain disappointment.

Anyway all that is to say its largely known knowns now and NBNCo knows the scope of work left and how long it takes to do it. I would expect your connection to be available before Christmas. But that doesn't help you now.

I would normally suggest other connection options but I suspect that even bad cable wiull be better than any alternatives.  My comments was just to suggest why the normally great cable performance might be deteriorating now but I'm sure Optus would say they will look into it for you (just be aware that the phrase "Optus are aware of an issue in the area, there is no scheduled resolution date at this time" is code for "It's going to be replaced by the NBN pretty soon")

Hopefully when the NBN arrives (and you're due the second best connection option after fibre) you see a resumption in both quality of service and also much more choice in which RSP you use (some have better service than others). But untill then it is back to the phone I'm afraid.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
52 Kudos
50 Kudos
30 Kudos
20 Kudos