Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor wallace1
Occasional Contributor

NBN

I have been advised that withing 18 months of the NBN being made available in my location my Pay TV service, Internet and phone service will be disabled, meaning I will have to switch to the NBN or lose the lot. Any one able to confirm or refute?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN

What post code / street is your location?

As a general rule everyone in Australia will need to switch to the NBN by 2020 (or earlier). On the plus side switching to the NBN means picking any provider you want out of hundreds. Till now you may have been limited to 1 or 2.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Peter,

We have been advised by NBN that installation should be late this year. My issue is that ALL of my services are provided by the Optus cable and none via the Telstra copper network. The advice I received from a pay TV provider was that even the cable service provided by Optus would be closed down. I have now seen reports of this anywhere.

Regards

Peter Hale

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Sorry. Typo. I have NOT seen reports of this anywhere.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Hale,

I suggest you check out the NBN Co website FAQs. Also use their address checker to confirm you'll be on the NBN HFC network - It will be telstra old network as the Optus cable is being junked)

After a suburb has gone NBN active you will usually have 18 months to transition to a new contract etc. After 18 months the old network will be shut down completely in your area). I say 'usually' because of all the Telco's, Optus have been very agressive in some areas where the NBN is active and have shut down their network (cable / adsl) within 6 months of the active date. They have been contacting customers affected, saying its the NBNs fault and you need to sign up again fast to remain connected. This is not true. If Optus have shut their network down early then you have the choice of going to another provider with no penalty etc. (Just so you know)

Optus are doing the above because running a whole network themselves that has fewer and fewer remaining customers is expensive and they'd rather switch everyone over as fast as possible.

That said (and to answer your question) yes the old network will be shut down but you will be unaffected. During that 18 months you can contact your telco (Optus) and ask to be moved to the NBN network. An NBN guy will come out to your house and ensure you're connected and you'll be sent a new modem to plug into your current cable. Optus will move you across to a NBN plan that's basically the similar to what you now have. So if you're on the current $80 unlimited download then you'll go across to the $80 unlimited NBN plan set at 25Mbps). You can buy speed packs to boost to 50 or 100Mbps if you want. You'll keep your phone number etc. If you have say 7 months left on your contract you'll have the same once you port over to the NBN. In general all contact about your connction will remain with your ISP (i.e. Optus)

So basicically nothing to worry about, just a bit of hassle on the day getting the new equipment sorted (its normally pretty plug and play). The good thing is that once on the NBN you are free to choose ANY ISP and the switch over is invisible (once you're out of contract). So whereas if you wanted cable before, Optus or Telstra were your only options now any ISP can use the NBN to provide the same service across the same cables (cause now NBN owns and runs them all). 

Optus provide a pretty good deal IMO, but now you're free to roam if you want to.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PG, you've got your rosey coloured glasses on again, but you are tring to help so god on you.

Optus cable customers will get 90 days to move to NBN with or without Optus. I have a letter from them telling me that so forget about 18 months that's only for Telstra copper.

The OP also has Foxtel on his Optus cable which will be disconnected. If he is lucjy enough to be getting NBN via HFC then he can call Foxtel or Telstra and get Foxtel directly from them. This is up to him to organise. If he goes to NBN via Fibre or FTTN or FW then his only option for Foxtel is a Sattalite Dish on the roof.

There are a lot of NBN providers and lots of choice so everyone should examine their own needs or ask a techo friend what might be good for them but they need to swap out before the 90 days or risk loosing their phone number as once Optus disconnects you they keep your number so you need to move before the 90 days. As this takes time to get NBN set up you should get into action within weeks afrer Optus advises you of your 90 days.

If you decide to stay with Optus for phone and internet you just need to give them a call and you will be sorted.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @tbz,

Yes i am a bit the optomist (which can be in short supply around here some days Smiley Happy)

Thanks for the clarifications/corrections. So Optus Foxtel is gone once Optus cable is gone. Apparently Foxtel Foxtel are happy to offer a migration deal (read second post here) so it might be worth contacting them and getting that sorted at some point (you can probably do it before any NBN concerns if you are out of contract).

I think you'll find the 90 day cancellation is only in some areas. As I said above Optus have been very aggressive forcing customers to make fast decisions by shutting their network down way before the NBN was intending to. Optus are happy to let people think its the NBNs fault too. If Optus do shut down their network then I believe optus are obligated to release you from any contract without penalty. 

So in summary, if you stick with Optus then just call them once the NBN goes active and they'll start migrating you across to Optus NBN (pretty much same deal as now). With the exception Optus Foxtel will stop and Optus will simply stop charging you for it - you can switch to Foxtel Foxtel (Foxtel Now?) before or at that point.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Kaysie
Occasional Contributor

I have just had the worst customer service imagined from OPtus re moving to the NBN!!

I received a letter 11/8/2017 advising that as they hadnt heard from me re NBN and they would be disconnecting my home service on Thurs 12th Oct 17??

ON 21/8 I called the 1800 number provided ( which was sales) and arranged to move across with an install date agreed upon of 25th Oct as I was going to be overseas for approx 1 month. I received an order number from the salesman Steve, then an email confirming the order number and then a SMS stating the install date of 25/10 as requested and agreed. 

On 22/8 I receive a second letter from Optus saying the first letter was a mistak re cancellation!!! I immediatley called and again was put through to Sales with the rudest customer service operator i have ever experienced! he also refused to give me his name or Employee ID and then just blind transferred me to the  service area. Service then advised my install date was in fact the 3rd Sept oh sorry then he changed his mind and said the 4th, when i asked about my confirmed date of 25th Oct he had no answers. After a long discussion with no result I then rang what i thought was complaints however true to form for Optus there really is no complaints line, just another overseas operator. I have since requested they cancel the order but i will be checking again in a few days. I am completely at a loss with everything that occurred today, I have been an Optus customer for 10ys plus and am extremely angry this afternoon. I would not recommend anyone use Optus when moving to NBN. NB the new contracts cost more and offer less, you also have to resign for another 2 years!!!!

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hi @Kaysie, I'm sorry to hear about this experience. 😞 There were some letters sent out in the past fortnight with the incorrect date listed due to a batch file error, this would be why you received the follow up letter. If you'd like us to double check that your order has been cancelled, please send me a PM with your full name, DOB and order number. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Kaysie
Occasional Contributor

Hello Hannah,

Please  provide your email address so I can send you the information you requested.

Please note, it was not only the issue re the two letters. The service from the reps who took my calls today was extremely bad. The first operator from sales was the rudest person I have ever spoken with and I am really cross that I can not report him due to him refusing to give me his information or put me through to his supervisor!!! I have totally lost confidence in Optus service.

Thank you.

0 Kudos