Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN technician destroyed cable

We had NBN installed about a year ago. We have a two storey  house. The connection has been working well on the television that we use in the main lounge on the second storey.

We recently redecorated the first floor to use as a rumpus and second games tv area. We purchased a new smart tv for the room for that purpose. When setting this up we found that the tv aerial points that had previously been working prior to the nbn installation were now inactive and disconnected. We did not do this.

On calling out an antennae technician to check what the problem was, he explained, after checking all the antennae points on the first floor (all second floor ones are working) that the Optus nbn technician when installing the NBN, disconnected tv aerial points for three other tv points the first floor (that we used very infrequently) but now wish to use again. Our antenna tradesman said the NBN has been dodgily piggybacked onto our tv antenna as a shortcut to avoid further and proper work. We are now less the previous functionality of accessing signals from our downstairs aerial points. Obviously we would like this to be rectified by Optus who are responsible for the work (or lack thereof) of the contractor who botched our installation clearly to save himself time and money which we will incur remedying his negligent work. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN technician destroyed cable

So, there's no such thing as an Optus NBN technician. There are Optus technicians and there are NBN technicians. The person installing your NBN connection was an NBN technician (only they can touch NBN installations).

I'd also query why an NBN technician would disconnect cabling to three separate rooms to install a single line in. That sounds like a lot of work to avoid a little bit of work. TV antenna cable is also of zero use when it comes to supplying an NBN cable.

At this stage I would suggest getting a second 'antennae technician' in as what the first one is saying sounds dubious. Possibly an antenna connection box got disturbed with the NBN install but why three separate cables got disconnected is a mystery.

You can try chase the NBN to come out but why didn't the antenna guy just hook up the connections again? What exactly is he saying has happened? Piggy backing is one thing but where are your antenna cables?
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The cables were from the foxtel of the previous home owners. There are two ‘Telstra’ branded boxes on the side of the house and one has had everything disconnected but just placed inside the box so it looks like it’s untouched until we found the aerial points were ‘dead’. We have photos but not able to be uploaded here. It’s bizarre. When the NBN technician was doing the instal he said it was too difficult and then found the box and it was suddenly simple and done in a few minutes. I do understand that the installer was not an optus employee but a contractor however all appointments were arranged through Optus and they will therefore my only contact.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

All I can think of is that they've used one of the existing cables as a "drawstring" and pulled the NBN cable through - is the NBN outlet near a downstairs antenna outlet? Normally though you'd pull through two cables and then put the existing one back.

What's weird is that all three outlets have been affected. Again guessing but it seems they simply have't connected back the cables in your outside box. But if that was the case I'm not sure why your antenna guy didn't just do that trivial thing (would have taken them 5 minutes)

I agree Optus is the contact point (its just that they aren't directly responsible for the damage). Hopefully you can get an NBN tech out again but they may just say that your aerials are nothing to do with them and refuse to do the work. Don't know. Good Luck.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes, I think that’s what they’ve done. The antenna guy was going to hook them back up but they’re in a locked Telstra box and he didn’t have the ‘security’ screwdriver to open it. All pretty annoying when it’s due to someone being slack. Thanks for your help in clarifying the lingo- definitely not mine or the husbands area of expertise. Will someone from Optus contact me regarding this issue or do I have to phone them? Haven’t used his forum before.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

No probs. You'll need to contact Optus directly. It might be a fairly long wait. Good Luck.
0 Kudos