Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
pbills
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN installation

My Sagemcom arrived yesterday, prior to us moving to NBN - don't want to, but the government has mandated it, so I guess that's that.

My question - we have HFC, with an outlet in the wall of our office. Everything works fine, and our desk setup is just the way we like it. Will the NBN installer be able to use the existing HFC cable and outlet, or does that become redundant, and a new cable and NBN box need to be installed?

It's going to be a pain to move all our furniture and equipment to allow access if so. I read also that a small trench needs to be dug on our premises for the line to be installed - that's going to be a real problem, and if so, I guess we have to foot the bill for that?

All of this, because the government wants it to be. We've been perfectly happy with our existing setup for over 20 years. I'm very frustrated!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jack_YC

Re: NBN installation

Hi there @pbills, the work that will be done will depend on the type of nbn connection that is being set up. 

In some cases, the existing HFC infrastructure will be utilised. With other NBN connections such as Fibre to the Curb (FTTC) or Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), the nbn techs will need to complete some additional set up. With the Fibre to the Node (FTTN) nbn connection type, the techs most likely won't even have to access your home to complete the nbn installation. 

For more info on the types of nbn and what will occur on the nbn install day, please check out our nbn Installation Guide.

If you did have any other questions about setting up an nbn connection, I recommend sending us a message via the My Optus App so we can check your individual connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

pbills
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for that fast response! I'll follow up through the app. Our preference, of course, would be for the existing HFC cabling to be used.

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

No worries @pbills. Our Messaging agents will be able to clarify what nbn connection type is being used at your premises and answer any other questions you have regarding your individual connection. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

To find out the type of NBN connection you will be getting enter your address at https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address and see what it says for technology type. There should also be a service class number there which will give a clue as to whether or not a new leadin cable would be required.

If its HFC then as far as I know they are only allowed to reuse an existing HFC port if it was Telstra HFC.
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"All of this, because the government wants it to be. We've been perfectly happy with our existing setup for over 20 years. I'm very frustrated!"

You may have been, but the rest of the country has needed to move on from 5Mbps connections. Your 100Mbps Optus cable is actually what the other 80% of the  country desperately wanted to get access to as well and so the NBN has been about spreading the good fortune you've had for the last 20 years. Unfortunately leaving the entire old network up and running for a few people that didn't want a few hours inconvenience is really practical. So its time to transition to something better.

"Will the NBN installer be able to use the existing HFC cable and outlet"

No. The Optus HFC network is being torn down. It was in such a state of disrepair that it couldn't economically be upgraded to the NBN (So getting a replacement before it failed is also a plus)

That said the NBN installer will likely try run your new line in through the same point. It does as mention depend heavily on what NBN technology you will be getting. Please check your address here and let us know (HFC? FTTC? FTTP?) :

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

0 Kudos
pbills
New Contributor
New Contributor

hfc
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok. So that will use Telstra's HFC network. A new line will come in from the street (unless you already have a Telstra HFC cable installed already). Normally it is connected via aerial to the front corner of your house (you may already have a small NBN box on the side of your house - NBNCo can install this anytime without involving you or needing your permission).

Usually they'd follow the same route of the Optus cable (possibly using the cable as a drawstring for your new cable) You can chat with the installer on the day and discus where you'd like the inside outlet to be. They may be accommodating but they have the last word on where it gets installed.

I'd suspect there's actually nothing you will need to do. Just book an appointment and the installer should have it all set up in parallel without any fuss. After you've switched across you can contact Optus and request they remove the Optus cable.
pbills
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the answer. That would be great, if they can simply draw the Telstra HFC cable through the same pathway as the existing Optus cable. Hopefully, that'll be the case on the day.

Breathing a little easier now....thanks again.