Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN connection, home visit, and Asperger's

I've been using Optus ADSL for the last 13 years, and of a few days ago, have contacted optus to upgrade to a NBN Broadband bundle. I've officially have had the NBN switched on at my block of flats last week, it is FTTB. The unit complex is three stories and was built around 2002 2003.

When speaking to optus customer service about the plan switch, they noted that a person has to come out to my place to actually turn it on, and hook up my modem. If it's just a visit to the basement to flick a switch and turn it on, I don't have a problem.

However, if it requires someone to physically enter into my unit, this is where issues become a problem. I have both Asperger's Syndrome and only 10% vision. With this, I have extremely sensitive feel, and with the autistic portion, a strong sensitive reaction to certain textures. So strong that I can feel something is completely clean, through to as sensitive as someones oily finger prints. My reaction to certain textures gives a meltdown, hard sweats, extremely high anxiety, stress, and the way my mind is wired, i literally shut down.

I've learned to cope with this quite well, as I treat my world in different zones, a white zone which is my unit (clean zone), and the black zone, which is everything else outside, such as plants, footpaths, trains, shops, and etc. All these places are naturally shared as public spaces, thus would have a higher degree of dirt, dust, oils, and etc from the reality of people sharing such spaces.

What I'm very nervous about is someone coming into my unit and touching anything in my white zone. So with this I wanted to ask if the person who is going to connect up the equipment in my unit, if they can please give it to me a few days before my switch on (26th Mar), and I can hook it up myself. Then when the 26th comes, the guy just has to switch it on, without having to enter my unit.

What I absolutely dread is the guy coming into my unit, touching around my white zone equipment, shelving, and other things, and me having to do stuff while him hanging around, I would just go insane from the extreme anxiety attack.

I would really appreciate optus allowing me to speack to the technician who is going to do the NBN installation to a:) explain what will actually happen, and b:) if we can work the above solution.

Someones help in this situation would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: NBN connection, home visit, and Asperger's

@mcb1969 In your discussions with Optus was it made clear would it be an NBN Technician or an Optus Employee to complete the install. If it is the former I don't think Optus would be able to help you as they have no control over NBN employees.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Aside from what my plan included, such as phone calls, where to, charges, and particulars regarding my Broadband, such as speeds and data, the rest was rather vague.

I was on the phone to optus for over two and a half hours, speaking to about 15 people. My original enquiry was the Wi Fi wattage of my Modem, as I need 2000 watts to cover my entire unit, noone knew that.

Then as for the home visit, I got conflicting information, noting that at first, they'd just be someone downstairs turning on the NBN in the Basement. All fine, all good.

I then spoke to another two customer service officers to confirm this. I was then told that someone would need to come into the unit to install the modem. This is where I explained that I could do this myself. I didn't go much into the Asperger's stuff, as it would have made the conversations rather convoluted, not to mention the line quality was rather awful.

So in the end, I don't know if it will be an optus or nbn technician. I would like to find this out before hand, but if I've already spoken to three optus reps, and they don't know, it's no point me ringing up again to find out. I was hoping to see if a technician would see this post, and be able to point me to the right person.

If I can't get an arrangement, then I may have to inform the technician at the door on the day, which is going to be somewhat auckward for him, and stressful for me, hence why I would like to try and arrange something before hand, there's still two weeks, so hopefully something can be sorted in the interviening period.

How could I find out for example, who would be the local NBN technician in my area? Are installations contracted to local business? If I knew the business, then I can explain the situation directly to them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@mcb1969 
I don't work for Optus or the NBN so I have no official information.
Have you seen this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiJGo39lM2g

This video will walk you through the self-installation process for your Optus modem. For more information visit - http://yesopt.us/nbnfttb
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@mcb1969 wrote:

I've officially have had the NBN switched on at my block of flats last week, it is FTTB.

My understanding is that with FTTB, in addition to the basement work, an NBN tech still need to change the wall socket in the unit to an NBN socket. If that is the case then at least one visit to the unit will be required. 

Someones help in this situation would be much appreciated.

With a bit of luck @Ray_YC from Optus will see this and will be able to help.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My original enquiry was the Wi Fi wattage of my Modem, as I need 2000 watts to cover my entire unit, noone knew that.

I think you mean 2000 milliwatts. The maximum wifi transmission power in Australia is 4000 milliwatts.

Optus only supply one modem/router so, you get what you get.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Tigers1719,

Thanks for that video, yes, my friends also pointed me to that vid today. I think at last they may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Much of my original frustration spawned from the fact that I've just bought a modem about four months ago, it is a D-Link Python 2888A 1600 Mw Wi Fi, and I'm very happy with it's performance. The customer service people at JB Hifi told me that this modem is completely NBN compliant. This is why I was absolutely annoyed as hell at optus's insistance that I needed another modem, sorry I should have stated this earlier. With my limited eye sight, it took me an hour or so with crawling under the computer shelving to get it connected and some effort of getting it configured and working, but once I did, it's all going great. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO BE DOING THIS ALL OVER AGAIN!

I was explaining this situation to my friends today, and they apparently have seen another thread on the yes crowd site, that apparently comments that this modem is perfectly compatible, and that I don't need a new modem at all.

If it's a change to the wall socket, that shouldn't be a problem, as it's pretty clear from my zoned area, but still would be good if the technician was aware of my aspergers, if per chance they still needed to enter my unit for doing this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@mcb1969 

I believe initially to activate your NBN connection you have to use the Optus Modem /Router.
If you want to use the landline component of your Optus NBN service the Optus device has to be in the setup.
https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/BYO-Router-with-Optus-NBN-VoIP/m-p/416328#M11939

The link above does not mention FTTB , Peter Gillespie has posted a BYO solution for other NBN technologies who want to use the Landline.  

If you do not require the landline once the NBN is running you could switch over to your DLink. You may need too make a note of some settings to transfer to the DLink. 

I made a different technology choice when faced with switching to the NBN, I went with an Optus 4G connection as the tower is only about 500 metres away and did not want a landline.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@mcb1969 wrote:

If it's a change to the wall socket, that shouldn't be a problem, as it's pretty clear from my zoned area.

Be aware that the wall socket work can potentially generate a decent amount of dust due to the drilling/cutting into the wall, even when they are just replacing existing sockets. That was certainly they case when my FTTC socket was replaced.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Tigers1719 wrote:

I believe initially to activate your NBN connection you have to use the Optus Modem /Router.

That's my understanding as well. I haven't heard of any situations where that was not the case.

The link above does not mention FTTB , Peter Gillespie has posted a BYO solution for other NBN technologies who want to use the Landline.  

The setup in that link will not work for a FTTB connection.

If you do not require the landline once the NBN is running you could switch over to your DLink. You may need too make a note of some settings to transfer to the DLink. 

There are no setting to get from the Optus router, they are all hidden. On the DLink though you will need to change the WAN connection type to IPoE or Dynamic IP and that's probably about it.

And if you do require a landlinn you will almost certainly need to change the IP address of Optus router before you connect it to the DLink. I don't know what the default IP address of your DLink is (its probably 192.168.0.1), but the Optus router is 192.168.0.1, and they can't both have the same IP address. 

You will most likely have to change setting on your DLink to allow phone calls (VoIP) to be passed directly to the Optus router.

0 Kudos