Searching...

NBN and Optus Cable conduit sharing

[ Edited ]
Homer

Hi I live on a block of land that is now subdivided into two properties with a common driveway. I live in the house in the front street facing property and have Optus Cable Broadband, supplied via overhead cables. I am building a house at the rear in the second property to move into and have put in a conduit with a nylon string for the NBN connection whenever it plans to come around. Will Optus be able to use this NBN conduit to connect up the house at the rear property with a cable connection ? Thank you in advance for your responses and advice. Pascoe Vale, VIC 3044 Smiley Happy

Re: NBN and Optus Cable conduit sharing

Homer

Since my last post this morning and following phone calls and chat conversations, I have managed to request for a technician to come out to check out the conduit I have installed. I will update this post as developments happen.  This is secondary to meeting the requirements of Optus:

In brief, a qualified private contractor must lay in an enclosed trench, a white 32mm telecommunications conduit containing a draw wire. The trench will run from the pole on the street to the blind side or your house (where there are other services eg. electricity meter box).  http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/underground-cable-installation-fixed-phone-broadband?req...

Jax_K

Thanks for the update @Homer. Do keep us posted on how you get on and if you need a hand with anything. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

[ Edited ]
Homer

After much struggle to get a tech out to my site. I have now resigned to accept the fact that I cannot get a cable to the house at the rear. Optus only supply cable internet using overhead lines. My house at the rear of a property is over 60 meters from the road. I could host a really big pole to have the cable pulled through in a way it does not touch the house in the front. However, to host such a pole will involve digging deep to secure this pole and I am not willing to risk hitting rocks ( a known issue) in the process.

The other option is for me to apply to the council and have a private contractor run an underground cable from my house to the nearest point of distribution (electric pole) and rough figures provided to do the same will cost me over 3-5000 dollars including council fees etc. The unfortunate experience in this process was when I requested the relocation service, I was automatically disconnected at night on the day the tech was meant to come out. Only for the tech to tell me that it is not feasible for Optus to run this cable through a NBN ready conduit. (I could have kept the connection and run a cat 6 cable from my front house to the rear easily). Lesson learnt: Check feasibility with a tech call out, before asking for relocation.

Being the end of December, no new providers around to give me a new connection. I have been hounding Telstra to give me a connection to the front of my house as they 'own' the pits and poles. 2 weeks after application, a Telstra tech comes out and tells me Telstra will need to provide a connection to the front of my house. A new job raised, with a hold time of 2 weeks for the site to be serviced. Lesson learnt: Those building a house need to be aware that you need to apply for Telstra connection just like you apply for gas or electricity and water and the wait times can run into months for all these services.

In the meantime, I have trialed the Dongle from Optus which is excellent but will serve only one PC at a time. I bought a TPLINK TD-W8968 hoping to hotspot internet using this, but the TP Link has major compatibility issues with the recent Optus dongles. Went back to store at Broadmeadows, and the manager there gracefully swapped the dongle for the wifi hotspot Huawei E5573. I have now purchased data for $70 for 50 GB and hope to survive until a line is put to the house although not very happy to be downgraded from cable speeds of 50+ to 1-2 Mbps from Telstra. The wifi hotspot is fantastic. Am not willing to go wireless broadband due to the limited data available 200 GB.

Highlighted

Gen_R

Hey Homer - thanks for keeping us updated on your current situation. We are sorry that there ins't more we can do for you at this time. Best of luck going forward though! 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
75 Kudos
52 Kudos
38 Kudos
25 Kudos