Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor TriniM
New Contributor

NBN and 404

We just joined NBN but have been always an Optus ADSL customer. With NBN we often get the "404 File Not Found" notice or "401 Unauthorised" and the latter asks for the router's Serial Number". We have never had this before after so many years.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: NBN and 404

Very unusual second error message - is it only on one device or all devices?  When you connected to NBN, the modem doesn't require your User ID and Password as it did on ADSL - it is set for IPoE/Dynamic IP - does that match your setting? You could also Clear Data Cache and History in your Browser or if possible use a different Browser to see if that reveals better outcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Moving onto the NBN takes a bit of effort and doesn't always go smoothly straight off the bat. But once done you should find you have much better speeds than ADSL and everything working just as smoothly.

The NBN may be using a different access method than your old phone numbers as well as a new router etc. It just sounds like this hasn't been set up quite right for your PC etc.

You'll need to contact Optus support (try LIVECHAT using the phone app) and have them talk you through ensuring the modem is correct and indeed that the NBN has been activated.

You can pay Optus ~$100 for someone to come out and make sure all your equipment is set up correctly but try the self help option first.

Have you had the NBN working at all since i went live in your home? Are you using the new modem?

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor TriniM
New Contributor

I have spoken to Optus. We have isolated the problem with the Netgear wifi extender we are using. I’ll be talking to Netgear support tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.
Top Contributors