Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Bobman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN Voicemail & Caller ID weird situation

Since switching over to NBN there have been some weird issues which Optus is unable to resolve:

1) Voicemail is activated with greeting, PIN etc, but the phone rings out or sometimes rings once and hangs up. No voicemail message after 6-8 rings. Optus advises with NBN system Voicemail rings can't be adjusted either?

2) Number is unlisted, but now my number shows when I call someone, before it would show as private. Is this due to NBN and unable to be changed anymore?

3) As above, if I disable Caller ID it shows as private when I call out, but so do incoming calls. Is this another NBN drama along with the rest?

Cheers for any advice.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN Voicemail & Caller ID weird situation

NBN or Optus related, its Optus job to resolve the issues (even if that means them talking to the NBNCo).

Most people don't have the issues you are having but weird things can happen to the phone when you move to the NBN (My landline could only recieve incoming calls from Telstra mobiles for a while)

Items 2 and 3 should just be settings on the Optus network and easily resolved. Not sure on item 1 but be pretty sure such a basic thing like rings to answer is there. Take advice from any one sales person with a grain of salt.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
newline
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

The following is from personal experience. If you are making settings online through My Account, do them one at a time and allow a day before making the next setting (change). I got terribly confused when settings I changed were not happening: I then lucked on the above and everything became settled over a few days. That was by trial and error, and Optus support was of absolutely no help or use while I was having issues.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good tip @newline .

Note to @Bobman that MyAccount only allows one change at a time (takes 1-24 hours to action). Further changes are locked.

You will also likely get a vague and badly worded "Order has been placed confirmation" email that just relates to the setting you just changed.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Bobman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I didn't use MyAccount at all. This was all done via live chat with the customer service agent.

I'll check out MyAccount to confirm and do as advised, one change at a time.

Anyone know if you can have a silent number, but still have Caller ID active for incoming calls? Just like old copper cable phone line and Cable Internet.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You can request your number be private (i.e. not in the White Pages) sure. Thankfully the Telcos seem to have finally reversed this profitable little extortion scheme ("Pay us or we will publish your number to the world!"). Caller ID is a seperate service (sometimes charged for sometimes included)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Bobman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Have resolved caller ID and number listing prior to the below.

For the interests of anyone else who finds this in the future, the Voicemail continued to be faulty, however after speaking with a very helpful CSR agent, we have made some progress. Following a full and complete line reset on their end, the issue remained, however instead of ringing out it goes to engaged signal. This now leads to a line fault or other issue within the network, where an answer is much closer than ever before.

Just remember, persistence pays off, but don't give up until things resolve.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors