Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN Speed

I am paid an extra $10.00/month to increase the speed of my NBN as advised by optus when i rang to say NBN was very slow.  It increased a bit but now is slower than ADSL I spoke to optus yesterday and they said they have received a lot of complaints from my area and they were upgrading the system and would send a text when it is fixed..They couldnt say how long before it is fixed.  So if they knew there were problems and they are upgrading my area why did they take my $10.00/month extra.  They knew my speed would not increase but they still took my money and still are.  I said well I will go back to my previous plan until it is fixed and then I will pay the extra.  I was told that If I did that they would charge me $80.00/month for two months as that is when my previous plan expires.  Where else would a company be allowed to take money from a customer for a service knowing full well that service had probs and they couldnt supply that fast service.  Isnt that false advertising.  I am doubfoundered. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: NBN Speed

You're 100% correct, they upgraded you without giving you all of the information. Call and explain this to them and give them the opportunity to correct their mistake. If they refuse, try and escalate otherwise go to the TIO. All companies make mistakes but they should fix them when they do. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately there's likely no unknown issues with your internet. The "upgrading" excuse is something of a cover all. Optus didn't "know" you wouldn't get the speed but they're probably not surprised either.

The question for you is did you change your actual plan or did you just upgrade your speed tier? If the later then this is not a plan change and can be done each month without penalty at any time. If you want to push it Optus are required to provide the service they offer. If the speed doesn't match the promise then request a credit for the last month. But switching back to the lower speed is not an issue. 

I suggest contacting them again.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I thought it was strange when they said it was a problem and they were working to upgrade the system when my neighbour who is on the other side of me from where the NBN is coming and connected to NBN two days after me, full speed.  I will leave it a couple of days and see what happens...just really over it at the moment.  Thanks for your comments. cheers

0 Kudos