Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Tracey-B
New Contributor

NBN Speed: What was promised V What was delivered

We recently switched from a brilliant cable service with Optus to NBN. When choosing a Plan on the phone i was assured that the download speed would be the same as what we had enjoyed with cable (25mbps) Not to be,,,,, after the install i discovered that we were only on 12mbps. I contacted support through Chat and discovered that i would have to upgrade to $80 per month to recieve anything like the speed we had expected. No problem, upgrade me......

Then, after being assured that we were all good to go i notice no difference in the speed and now have constant drop outs (all times of the day and night so peak/traffic not the culprit) I contact Chat Support again. We were not upgraded and no notes on my account. They are meant to attach Chat notes to your account. The Chat drops out because of poor internet andf i have to start the process all over. Twice. 

Finally, i get someone interested in seeing this through and when the Chat drops out again, he calls me on landline (a joke that it is still called fixed line because it too drops out) he calls back and i manage to give him my Vodaphone mobile number and now we are talking with no fear of disconnection. He says that there are no notes so i paste the last chats and he reads them, says that he will resolve this for me and i quote "i will never have to call about this problem again" You would think that that was the end of it? nonononono

Still experiencing poor internet and drop outs i contact Support Chat again. I explain the whole sorry tale. Apparently there are still no notes and i still have not been upgraded. I am close to tears and so angry there are no words. i paste the chat from pervious day where i was promised that this would be resolved and that i would never have to call again. There are apologies and Chat empathy. I have been given an extra 25 mbps at no charge for the duration of my contract. This is only a win if the internet speed promised can be delivered. 

Today i discover that i am now upgraded but the internet speed hovers between 8 mbps and 17mbps. Not really worth all that effort hey? i reboot the modem as they suggest. I make sure only one device is using the wifi.... no difference. 

One of the first Chat people i spoke to actually suggested that as this is a new connection i should expect this. I questioned that statement and asked him to elaborate. He said that as others in my street are getting their nbn connected then that means that techs are working on the line and that there will be outages. I firmly believe that if you don't know the answer to a question dont make statements that make you sound like an idiot......

I feel so sorry for the elderly and people with no tech savvy. I am at the end of my rope so i can't imagine the frustration that others are facing. 

Is anybody else having these same frustrations and if you managed to get them resolved have you any advice for me?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
New Contributor futumsch
New Contributor

Re: NBN Speed: What was promised V What was delivered

i experience similar sorts of issues, however i'm not on NBN but on the cable 30Mbps plan. My average connection speed is 3Mbps, although as i write this, it's sitting at 1.7Mbps. i joined optus approximately 3months ago after telstra wanted to charge me an insane amount to run a cable from across the road when i moved house, and it's just been one awful experience with optus after another.

what would happen if i paid only 10% of my bill, considering i'm only ever getting 10% of the advertised product?

tech support is a joke, after the "have you tried turning it off and on again?" trope that's it, all their "expertise" is exhausted and they just do whatever they can in their power to make you go away without actually resolving the issue. one technician suggested i switch to NBN to resolve the issue (NBN isn't coming to my area for another 3 years).

way to go optus, way to go....

Highlighted
New Contributor Tracey-B
New Contributor

Re: NBN Speed: What was promised V What was delivered

I have conducted regular speed tests and I am happy to report that we now enjoy on average a 30megabit download speed. I have been told by friends in the telecommunications industry that Optus must have purchased more NBN bandwidth after reports of localised congestion. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos