cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBN Packet loss - how to resolve with Optus?

Haha great video!

So, my orignal ticket remains open and my packet losses continue this morning and evening.

AGAIN onto live chat. I have been asked to wait another 24-48 hours now that NBN has fixed the hardware issues and has handed it over to the optus engineers to work on.

Seems like i got a fresh firmware downloaded today as the ip adrress reverted to defualt and wireless came on. I also did some comparisons  between this config file and the last one and there have been a few tweaks here and there in the config file.

So, another wait and another weekend of poor video quality, dropouts on voip etc.

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You need to sneak off to Telstra or iiNet

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it looks that way....

But I assume I am a bit stuck 'cos HFC connections are now on hold, so neither telstra or iinet could get me going.

And, if by any chance someone from Optus is reading this then - this problem exisits even when there's just one monitoring PC plugged directly into the arris modem.

And, why does this happen at exactly the same time, every day of the weekend and week day? Surely there can't be a sudden surge of activity by everyone in the neighbourhood at the same time every day?

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Neither the issue nor I have gone away!

Round and round the Chat support I went pretty much every day! Now been calling in instead over the last three days for updates due to my frustration with the tech chat circular path. I was a bit surprised as to how quickly my calls were answered, so that's the good thing.

Three times I've been promised call backs, but they never happen. Well today I learned that at least it is being looked at by nbn as they apparently asked optus yesterday for the mac Id of my nbn modem, and I supplied that tonight to the optus rep who asked for it when I called in. Hopefully some good news/improvements soon.

I suppose that's something...I do wonder how many customers are getting these issues, but just living with it.....I'm not as my service has degraded since moving to nbn, my streaming over fetch is rubbish and voip calls break up...

Onwards and upwards as they say.

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Still it continues. I feel I've given Optus a fair go to fix this. One more go on Tuesday when an NBN technicain is due. Then, if it goes on, I'm off. No call backs still as promised, at all, ever. 

Packet Loss 20 Jan 18.PNG

SimonGil
New Contributor
New Contributor

It seems I've had better luck than you - thanks for posting BTW (I picked up ping plotter to watch my packet loss). I have had the same problem of packet loss on a top tier hfc/nbn connection in Northcote VIC. Optus reset all they could their end, I factory reset the nbn modem my end, and so far, the packet loss has dramatically dropped (20+% down to about 2%). I'm keeping an eye on things,  but after a couple of days, so far so good.

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Hope it lasts for you...it never did for me and it still continues. 

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@BarryT, I'm sorry a MOD hadn't jumped in earlier.

I'm happy to run a couple of checks from my end.

Congestion is the likely culprit. There has been an increase in the CVC capacity purchased by RSP's over the last month.

If things haven't changed, there's always a chance of a planned capacity for your area. 

Send us a PM with your details.

I need your full name, DOB and account numberhttp://yesopt.us/pmdan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
SimonGil
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes .. it hasn't lasted. last 12 hours doesn't look great.

8_8_8_8.png

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@SimonGil, happy to perform a few checks from my end.

I have a few diagnostic tools at my disposal.

Send us a PM and we'll take a look 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors