cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBN Packet loss - how to resolve with Optus?

What happens if you download Windows service packs and aarnet Linux files? Torrent?

Nobody will be reading this thread, unless they happen to google it.

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, interesting. Also my theory on this being an evening things has gone out the  window. Just before leaving the house just now home I thought I'd check my trace and packet losses began again at 7am today. No activity at all here - no video streaming or anything going on other than an internet radio. 

What is worrying me is that it's back to work Monday after hols with evening link ups to Europe from home a necessity which will need a reliable line.

6 Jan 18 747am.PNG

I know that a very few people read this, but it's a useful log of activity that I point the optus support team to rather than have to repeat and repeat to the rep when I call/chat about this issue. I have a ticket with them to investigate.

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

THought it mught be my Orbi after seeing some posts in the Netgear community, but no. 6:15pm and it all starts over again. 

6 Jan 18 1820pm.PNG

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Do you know any neighour, working off the same node? Maybe they have problems as well.

You need to log into his wifi.

If it's 6:15, then whatever it is, is on a timer. But these nodes are so close to you, that there is a limit to how many people could be causing the interference.

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

I'll check with my neighbours to see if any has a problem, but in a fairly low density areas of Davidson/Belrose in Sydney.

Truthfully I'm well over this right now, but I won't let it go!. The packet loss stopped at 9 as exepected last night, and this morning's losses started at 7am. So I turned wifi off, unplugged everything from network, power cycled arris (after a minute's wait), plugged my work laptop directly into the arris modem. ie no other internal network interferance. The packet loss carried on.

Been on chat again to optus this morning. I was exepecting a call from their backend team, but I was told today that they don't work weekends. Brilliant. So when I am told they'll call back within 24 hours, that means 24 business hours. Anyway, that's another frustration.

Edit, here's the last 48 hours which is a clear representation of whats going on....regular drop in morning and evening. The spikes in between (and this morning)are me swapping things around for isolation testing etc. gotta be something outside of my control....

6 and 7 jan 2018 packet loss periods.PNG

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so no one called. I hopped onto chat yesterday around 4pm and was assured that someone will be calling as agreed. No one called. But the rep did say that NBN will fix the problem within 24-48 hours. I was keen to understand if this meant that NBN had found an issue or not. This could not be confirmed with the information available to the rep. 

Does NBN not make this sort of information available to the RSP?

So now I  have been asked to wait another 48 hours until NBN fixes this up. 

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

So the latest is that there has been some hardware fixes by NBN. I thought something had changed 'cos there was a shift in the pattern of packet loss ast  night and this morning. Now get three, one hour packet loss periods (two in evening and one in morning) rather than single longer periods in the morning and evening. Nearly there, but not quite....

Packet loss 11 Jan 2018.PNG

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I don;t know what hardware changes were done, but I've had the worst evening so far....

My original ticket has been closed today as it was classified fixed by NBN. So I have to create a new ticket. How long is this going to go on for?

Packet Loss 11 Jan 2018 pm.PNG

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You called someone in to fix it, and by jingo, they fixed it right up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqnFnWSYzaQ

0 Kudos
Top Contributors