cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBN Packet loss - how to resolve with Optus?

So, looks like the Fetch box was the problem. With the box off yesterday, all streams through PC and Foxtel Now Box were perfect.

Next, plugged back in the Fetch box and did a hard reset  (by pressing the colour keys on the remote repeatedly right to left). I'd only done soft resets of the fetch box before.

Once that finished, latest firmware downloaded and updated and ready to go. Watched the EPL game this morning - great qulaity, no packet losses/dropouts. Now just fired up the movie per my last test and no packet losses/dropouts.

On reflection, I think this must have been a lurking problem since I switched from optus cable to optus nbn - I suppose the lesson learned here for others having quality problems is to make sure you do a hard reset of the fetch box, especially when you switch to nbn.

I'll monitor this for the next couple of days, and hopefully nothing else more from me on this topic...happy new year everyone!

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Oh dear. Well I got a couple of days of good streaming of EPL and just a couple of very minor package losses every now and then...nothing to cause a problesm it seemed.

Then last night 8:30, connection dropped and been offline since then. 

So just double checked through chat if the techciaican is coming today as planned and none has been scehduled. Don;t know what happened there. So techncian rescehuled for tomorrow.

I am supposing that after all there is a fault somewhere, but really wierd it's now completely offline. Sigh sigh sigh.

Just measuring my exepectations against an extremely stable well perfroming optus cable service before and so far nbn isn't stacking up.

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I'm suspicious of this vectored DSL stuff. I don't see any way to cancel out noise with unpredictable periods. Seems like low budget cheating.

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, something odd here. On chat this morning I asked the rep to do a line test when the modem was down but dunno if they could be bothered or not as they have already recorded that a technicia is on the way to fix. (supposed to be today, but they messed up and now tomorrow - but thats another story!).

Anyway, just got back home and the thing is up and running. seemed to get online again by itself after 12 hours. (the image is a 24 hour time frame), but terrible package loss for about 10 minutes again around 2:30.

I really hope the technician finds something tomorrow as there is now no pattern to this at all. 

Chelsea v's aresenal tomorrow morning - I'd be pretty fed up if I cant see the blues smash the gunners!

packet loss 3 jan 18 330pm.PNG

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Happy to report that NBN engineer came and identified a cable problem with house to street connection on the house side. A very weak signal was monitored at the modem. The old connector box was replaced and the signal jumped up to normal range. Seems like it was a moisture/age problem and that finally the system just gave up trying to autocorrect/compensate for weak signal. My total dropouts over the last 2 nights can be explained by too much noise on the line which cause my IP address to be de-registered (apparently). 

So, been running for an hour now with no signs of any problems.....this hopefully will be the final post on this topic!

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Now I am seriously losing my sense of humour. Started to stream the movie (Foxtel Now Box) I was watching when things crashed a couple of nights ago and oh dear, packet losses appear again even after recabling from nbn engineer today. I lose the picture quality again (on Fetch as well). More investigation. Clearly streaming triggers this thing, and it continues after streaming stops. That old familiar look.....

packet loss 4 Jan 1842pm.PNG

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Are you streaming HD or anything challenging?

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

I've got Fetch box set to auto and it should be HD (and it is for period of no packet loss) , but have also changed settings down to 720 but no difference. Ditto the foxtel now box.

Packet losses stopped again this evening at 9:30, similar to a couple of nights ago. Fetch back to streaming good.

I think this is the second time I've seen the 6pm-ish to 9pm-ish window ......

I swapped the optus router out for my Orbi this evening as the Orbi has inbuild debug of Wan and Lan and saves out wireshark debug files, and did a debug trace over a packet loss or two,  but these are quite complicated to work through for me atm. I thought I found a clue in the trace with the windows update settings (Delivery OPtimisation) whihc was set to share out updates from my main PC, but no difference. (although that was an interesting learning curve to find out that advanced option in Win 10).

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

OK, So, today I took a fresh look at my internal network and replaced the unmanaged switch that the fetch box is plugged into to a new managed switch that i went and purchased (TPlink SG108E ) so that I can monitor the switch. That lead me down an IGMP snooping path to learn and investigate...all day long I streamed the EPL in hi def whilst I was in and out. No problems all day, brilliant..... until that 6:15pm time when this....and my picture quality drops in and out.

Packet Loss 5 Jan 18 1830.PNG

Now what on earth happens at 6:15 every night to do this, every minute???....I bet it'll stop at 9 ish. Is this Optus, or is it me. Optus reps, can you comment. I am located in Davidson, NSW 2085. Any pattern in the area? I have my suspiscions.!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Top Contributors