cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

NBN Packet loss - how to resolve with Optus?

Hi, on Optus NBN, HFC. Had been getting really good service until a few weeks back whn streaming fetch TV and foxtel now took a serious quality hit. 

Pingtests show fast times, 70-90mb download , aroud 30mb upload. Have done all sorts of test, router swaps, isolation test of fetch box, but quality is bad. On "chat' with optus support today, connection dropped twice. Their resolution was to reboot fetch box.

Furhter clues I think when I ran pingetst and it shows packet loss about every minute. (see picture). What do I do? I've spent so much time on this. 

Running on OPtus' sagemcomm router.

Thanks

Pingtests 28Dec17 730pm.PNG

46 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBN Packet loss - how to resolve with Optus?

Chat will drop out if nobody says anything for 3 minutes. They are usually talking to 3 other people.

You might be onto something with packet loss and ping. I presume you are only doing 1 per second, because I can't read the picture you have put up.

This does lots of pings and reports connection grade

https://www.dslreports.com/tools/pingtest

I get a marginal Grade A on 4km ADSL2+, running at 2.4mbs

I get grade CDEF on Optus 4G

I remember that Ookla speedtest has packet loss if you install Java, but I don't know if that's ancient history

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply and that's a good speedtest site.

Anyway, I have now sorted the problem. I stripped back the network to a laptop plugged into the arris nbn box and there were no packet losses. So that told me it was my internal network problem. 

So, device by device I re-added things and bang - the philips hue hub was bringing down my network. I have no idea how one device can have such an impact on the entire home network, but it did. (maybe flooding the network looking for lights.!)

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so I was a bit quick - although the Hue did cause some issues, the packet loss re-appeared.

Hopped on phone to OPtus tech support and only a 5 minute wait. 

It was a bit of a challenge to convince the rep that I was having this wierd packet loss every minute and that the ping monitoring tool I was using was to be trusted. Anyway, it all finally resulted in a hard reset of the NBN modem and the rep did a line reset from the optus end and now no packet losses.

Now to try replugging the Hue and see what happens. ...

Edit: To clear the Hue's name (!), all plugged in  again and no network issues, therfore problem was 'cos of "technical glitch" in optus nbn.

New picture below shows packet loss gone after Nbn reset (one desktop plugged into NBN modem) , then a gap whilst I reset up full network with all devices. Happy again! Let's hope it lasts.

packet loss 29 Dec 17 953am.PNG

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Sigh, NO it didn;t last. Back to packet drops again.

What now..big sigh optus, there is a pattern to this..

Pachet loss 29 Dec 17 636pm.PNG

Edit: 'Chatted' with tech support....I guess the 'good' news is that the rep on chat has identified a line problem just now and a technician comes next Wednesday.

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You said there was no problem on the laptop. Are you recanting this?

Could it be a wifi issue?

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, it's a recurring problem (wenbt away and came back), but per my edit above, now identified by OPtus as a line problem.

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

I thought today things were good again. I started the ping monitor this morning and it looked great for 7-8 hours, until 6pm when the same pattern of losses every minute kicked in. 

At the time I was 15 minutes into streaming a movie through fetch.....

Packet loss 30 Dec 17 740pm.PNG

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Packet loss caused by congestion. That's what it's normally caused by. Should disappear again at 11pm.

0 Kudos
BarryT
Contributor
Contributor

The packets stopped dropping at 9pm...still in 'peak' time. I'm thinking congestion may be the issue, but what's nagging me about that is the regular cyclical nature of the packet loss - about every minute. And that the problem went away last night still in peak time.

It did seem a coincidence last night that my problems started when I streamed a pay for movie through the Fetch box. So this morning I fired up the same movie and immediately the packet drops began again (see graph beow). I think that this strongly points to the Fetch box causing this when I stream a movie....but why would it do that? (if it is that). Today I'll leave the fetch box off and see if the losses reappear during peak. ....

packet loss 31 dec 17 720am.PNG

0 Kudos
Top Contributors