cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor tigerstoroar
Occasional Contributor

NBN Landline not working

Have NBN internet + phone, but phone is not working - no dial tone, cannot call out and others cannot ring in. 

Tried all the basics of checking cables, restarting & resetting modem and trying with another handset - all to no avail. 

Problem has had been around for 3 weeks during which I’ve contacted phone support + chat line a number of times with no resolution, only that someone will call back - which never happens. 

If anyone from Optus is on here, problem ref is 21161584

Anyone else had any success in actually getting through to Optus to get some real support instead of platitudes & being fobbed off ? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN Landline not working

You need an Optus modem to have an Optus Landline. Just saying you can't test on another modem.

I get the impression the NBN itself is working? Having done all the basic tests the problem then you should now have two options:

1) Get Optus to send out a new modem (they'll do this pretty quickly)

2) Get Optus to have the NBN check the line and confirm why the phone is not working.

FWIW never believe an Optus employee promising to call back later. As you've found they don't. So if its not fixed when you hang up, you can expect to have to call back in a few days. FWIW I also wouldn't let the timeline drag on. Call, Livechat, Facebook every day until you hit a person who can actually help (get the right help).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thx for your response. Using an Optus modem. Guess I’ll just have to keep at them. Pretty poor service if that’s the case. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @tigerstoroar,

I escalated this fault ticket with our Networks team yesterday when I saw it. They have asked if you can test it again please. Is it working now?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thx for your response. Just checked & no difference. Cannot call out or make a call to that number. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Make sure you do a full power reset for two minutes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thx for your response. Tried that just now & no improvement. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Finally was able to arrange for a technician to call. He did a thorough check & was able to connect with his portable phone. He noted that Uniden phones, as mine is, are incompatible with Optus supplied modems. Same goes for Phillips phones. I’ve trird now with a Panasonic phone & all works. It would have been nice to have been told this on the initial installation. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

News to me. Thanks for letting us know.

0 Kudos
Contributor thadeus60
Contributor

Yes, it's been happening to me.  They keep saying they have escalated it, but nothing happens.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors