cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Darmel
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN Instal into a disused foxtel plug rather than the kitchen near the existing phone line and modem

Hi

The Optus NBN technician arrived yesterday, to install nbn.  Asked where I wanted it inside the house and I stated on the kitchen bench beside the existing phone handset and modem (both connected to Optus), stated that he couldn't do that as they can't install in a kitchen or a bedroom.  Foxtel (or other pay tv service is here).  There's fetch connected via wifi and no foxtel (or other) since I've lived here it was a satellite dish setup and on moving in approx 8 years ago with no tv, had a tv technician come in and troubleshoot my issues.  The antenna socket required a booster and if not using the pay tv and old technology he cut it out and satellite dish was removed when solar was connected.  Advised technician of this, comes in and says there's no power.  Ended up running new cable to the pay tv (foxtel) box however, my issue is now that I can't connect the cables to the nbn box as I'm going to need over 3.8 metres to make it reach will require more as that's pulling it taut and no allowance for a doorway to access the bedrooms, bathroom or laundry.  I have friends/family that have nbn with other providers and have their nbn box right where I wanted mine.  I'm really not impressed at this point in time.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sarah_YC

Re: NBN Instal into a disused foxtel plug rather than the kitchen near the existing phone line and m

Hi @Darmel,

Thanks for sharing a detailed description of what's happened.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the NBN modem installation.

Since we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then send a Private Message to Optus on Facebook or a Direct Message on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: NBN Instal into a disused foxtel plug rather than the kitchen near the existing phone line and m

themselves make the rules on install (And it was a NBN contractor who installs it)

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/hybrid-fibre-coaxial-explained-hfc-3

Ref:

• A cool, dry, ventilated area (not a damp or wet area such as a kitchen, bathroom, laundry or under a window that opens).
Darmel
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The modem and landline base are in a corner of the bench that doesn’t get wet in a well ventilated space, and now can’t connect to the nbn box due to how much cable I’m going to need to connect along with dropouts due to the length of cable. Defies all logic to me
0 Kudos
Joeblogs
Contributor
Contributor

I know how you feel@Darnell, I am at my wits end with the NBN. I am obout to pull the plug on them. In recent times they have become very arrogant and dismissive. I have another visit from them tomorrow.(4th visit) If they don't fix the fault this time , they are dead meat.

0 Kudos
Darmel
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Seriously started doing some googling last night, I will be getting an nbn qualified electrician to quote on relocating. The tv cabinet when I have to move it is unstable due to tiles and wheels so has a greater chance of falling off when I move it, as I have speakers that fall off every time it’s moved, compared to the bench...
0 Kudos
Joeblogs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darmel, they must have read my post as my speeds have dramatically increased so i guess i will have give them another chance. I hope you get your problem sorted soon. Regards 

0 Kudos
Darmel
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’ve now got a case manager, wanting to know why it’s setup not connected. Again, explained about length of cable required and I would suffer dropouts. Advised, that was correct, their option was to move the modem, still an issue with the home phone. Solution and sent a list of nbn recognised cablers/electricians to move the nbn connection box to where I want it...
0 Kudos