Searching...

NBN Hfc dropouts on new connections

Peterst

We've just had our NBN connected, its HFC, and in 24 hours we've already had three dropouts where we completely lose internet for 2 - 3 minutes.  In most cases this is not a problem, but when you need to maintain a remote session, it is a pain as it drops you out requiring a reconnection.

The computer is connecting to the Optus router via ethernet cable so this is not a Wifi problem.  The router is located next to the old Optus Cable router and the house side ethernet network has not changed since we swapped over.  

This is very frustrating and disapointing when the new NBN internet connectivity seems to be a lot less reliable than the Optus Cable we have had for 10 years.

Can anybody suggest anything we can do to improve the chance of getting this resolved?  I've already logged a ticket with Optus, but as this is an intermittent problem and we seem to have pretty good speed and connectivity at other times I have little faith that this issue will be resolved any time soon.

Many thanks.

Re: NBN Hfc dropouts on new connections

petergdownload

The HFC network is still a bit of an unknown performer. The old Optus (and Telstra) networks were never designed to service every house in the area at once and so getting a fast stable NBN HFC version has been tricky. NBNCo actually halted the HFC rollout for around 6 months last year. They originally intended to get as many hooked up as fast as possible and come back later to fix any issues, but found so many issues that they had to go back and get things set up properly. That seems largely to have worked.

Anyway, 3 drop outs in 24 hours might be teething issues (or a faulty modem) but as you say is on that threshold of hard to fix maybe. Optus / NBNCo record all dropouts so they may be able to get an idea of what is causing them. You can ask Optus to send out an NBN tech to check your line too. It may just be the lead in needs re attaching etc.

Peter Gillespie

Peterst

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply.

The connection was only installed yesterday and appears to be a neat and compentent connection.  We're generally getting good speed and the fact that we get a complete dropout seems to me to indicate something more than local connection issues.

I'm going to have another look at the inside connection of the Arris box tonight and ensure that the power/connections to it are not being bumped by anything.  

Is it possible to just run from the Arris box to our own (Apple) wifi router or must we use the Optus supplied Sagemcom in the chain?  Would be great if this is possible as it eliminates one potentially unreliable link in the chain.

Thanks,

peter.

petergdownload

You should be able to just connect them straight. Good for a bit of testing anyway. Just might have some issues with the phone if you use one.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Peterst

Thanks for this,

Nope, no phone. (don't need to give the spam calls airtime).

I'll try using the Apple ]Airport Express and see if the problem disappears.

I'm also going to do a logging ping to get a rate of outage before and after changing the router.

Pitty these things can't just work without any problems.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
63 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
32 Kudos
16 Kudos