cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor malf1968
Occasional Contributor

My three business websites have been blocked by Optus.

Two days ago I was no longer able to access my three photography related websites via my Desktop or Ipad over a wireless network. After addressing the matter with my host in the US, I was advised that it was a local problem. I then went about doing full virus and malware scans, however am now aware that this matter rests entirely with Optus. Other people are still able to access my websites, and when I use my desktop via my Telstra 3G phone, all works fine. For some reason Optus has decided to block my three websites devoted to travel photography. After getting the run around with Optus yesterday morning, I was told that this would be referred to someone else and I would receive a call back. Some 26 hours have passed and there has been no call, and I am not only unable to access my websites which I was working on, I am also unable to receive email communication. As a business owner, I am sure you can understand the seriousness of this situation. I wonder how long will it typically take to get a call back, especially considering it is the weekend and still within the Christmas/New Year break. I am also wondering why on earth Optus would block my three sites, especially when there is absolutely nothing on them that would justify such action.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: My three business websites have been blocked by Optus.

Hey malf

Have you got a link to 1 of your sites I could have a look at to see if I can access it, as I am on the Optus network, with what you are saying I should not be able to see them either

Also as a note you have stated you are not able to receive emails also, this seems odd as the 2 issues (unable to browse to your website and not recieving emails) are not really related unless your whole Optus connection is not actually working

Are you able to go to any other websites (not yours) on the Optus connection?

Anyhow if you post a site I'll have a look and see if I have any issues getting on it

Jabba

* Don't forget to mark the post that solves your query and give Kudos for helpful comments Smiley Happy

Jabba

* Don't forget to mark the post that solves your query and give Kudos for helpful comments Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jabba, Many thanks for your comment. My websites are as follows:- www.malcolmfackender.com www.spotlightonasia.com www.spotlightonafrica.com.au The malcolmfackender.com is the main domain with the other two being subdomains. The email does not work because it is my business email, which relies on the domain working. All other websites are not a problem, this is strictly limited to my three sites. My assumption is that the main domain is blocked for some reason, and the other two are affected as subdomains. I can still access my sites via a Testra 3G connection, and my parents are still able to access via another service provider. Thanks, malf
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hey malf

So I have been able to access all 3 sites without any issue, tried on internet and mobile both with Optus and also tried chrome and IE on both PC and mobile without incident

This would suggest there is no Optus block on these domains as such

Have you tried another browser on the same computer? maybe try google chrome or firefox?

Also try clearing your cookies if you have not already

You can also try to ping the sites to see if the command times out or not

Seems odd but let me know how you get on and if you resolve it post what the issue was for furure reference Smiley Happy

Jabba

Jabba

Occasional Contributor

Many thanks Jabba, Firstly, the good news is that all my sites are working now. After reading your response, I really had no idea what to do next. Firstly, I had already previously tried Firefox, IE and Chrome, and none would work. I was also unable to access my sites via my iPad or my iPhone over the WiFi. I had also tried to ping the sites two nights ago, and that too was okay. Nothing made sense. I then realised that there was only one variable that it could be, that being my modem. Of course I had already previously turned it off, waited more then 10 seconds then restarted, however this also did nothing. After reading your message, I decided to turn it off for 20 minutes, and surprise, surprise, all is now working. What was the root cause of the problem? Obviously the modem, however I have absolutely no idea what could have happen to only affect my three websites. That is just plain odd. Maybe have to put it down to Gremlins. Smiley Happy Once again, many thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Nice work malf good to hear it is resolved

Those damn gremlins pop up everywhere and without invitations too! Smiley Wink

Hope you are enjoying your weekend, oh and BTW nice sites, the template you have used with wordpress is very tidy Smiley Happy

Jabbajaws77

Jabba

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Forgot to ask, what about the emails? working?

Jabba

Jabba

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Email is working fine thank. Really is a strange problem, and it will be interesting if Optus have some thoughts when they call. I have been working hard on new websites over the past couple of months. My goal is to have one serve mainly as a portal to the other two, which is why I have intentionally kept it simple. I was actually working on the spotlightonafrica site when this problem occurred, so now it is time to get back to finishing it off. Once upon a time photographers would spend a large portion of their time in a darkroom, now it is front of a computer. Smiley Happy Have a great weekend, and many thanks for your input into the resolution of this problem. I am sure without your feedback I would still be sitting here none the wiser.
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ryan
RetiredModerator

Thanks for posting back malf1968 - and top work on helping malf out with this one jabbajawa77 (you're starting to get a bit of a reputation on here) Smiley Wink

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Even though Jabba's advice helped me temporarily get my websites working again, the problem still exists. On three occasions since all my websites have been blocked, and it has something to do with the modem, as I can re-boot it and all is okay again. I have been waiting for a call from Optus for 5 days, and I am left assuming it will not come.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors