Searching...

Moving house relocation problem

Lylesalive

Hey guys, 

Question regarding relocating my service. I recently signed up with Optus primarily for nbn and in doing so was given a home phone number. Not long after I moved house and am trying to have the service relocated. I was informed nbn is available in the area but my request was declined due to the fact I do not know the phone number of the house I am now living. Nbn have quoted $300 to come out and do whatever it is that's required.  My question is do I need the phone number for the broadband?  If I was to just request broadband without the phone would it make this any easier?  It seems ridiculous that I cannot move my service without an addional cost. At the moment I am paying for Optus broadband which I am not using and to be honest I had to call numerous call centers, go on live chat and send emails to get a response from Optus,  who put it back in my court. Surely there's a easy solution to this.  Your help/ knowledge/experience is greatly appreciated.

Re: Moving house relocation problem

Kartika

Hi @Lylesalive, thanks for reaching out to us as I can understand your concerns with regards to the $300 charge from NBN. This is called New Development one time charge from NBN. In other words it is not Optus charging you. Check out this link for more info. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Lylesalive

It's not a new development, built in the 70s. It might be the first time the property is connected to nbn though, however that was not a problem in my last house when I initially signed up with Optus a few months back.  

I'm unsure of where to go with this as it appears anybody I talk to at Optus has not a clue about how to resolve this issue.  

Dan_C

Hi @Lylesalive,

This one comes up a fair bit. I'm happy to try and offer a bit of assistance. Do you know if there has ever been an ADSL service or old local access telephony service at the address? I'd presume that at some point there must have been copper lead in cables installed by Telstra.

When we place an order for a FTTN service (fibre to the node) NBN will ask us to provide them with the most current telephone number that had been allocated to that address. We're then able to select the unique line ID that has been assigned by NBNco. If we're unable to provide them with this info, they'll arrange a field technician to install brand new copper lines which comes at a cost of $300.00.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Lylesalive

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for their reply,  sorry for the delay,  was having problems logging in to yes crowd.  

There are definitely phone points throughout the house as I've bought a cheap home phone and tried them all but I have no dial tone. The previous tenant was connected through iinet but I do not believe it was through nbn, more likely adsl. She could not give me the phone number,  not the previous tenant before her. 

I was speaking with a Optus nbn support rep  on Wednesday and he suggested I find the node and plug my phone in there!!  I'm amazed this is such a headache but thanks for the info,  I could not understand what the call centre guys were actually saying but you have made it clear. 

I suspect the only solution to this is to pay nbn?  I don't fancy plugging my cheap phone into the "outside box" as was suggested, 

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

Hmm, is there any way to get in touch with the former tenant? You should also be able to contact your property manager and they should be able to help you out with the phone number. I don't think the agent was telling you to plug your handset into the node haha, I think what he meant was to plug your handset into one of the old sockets within the home. You'd need to perform a dial back test. If you dial 127 22 123, you should be able to retrieve the last landline number. Let us know how you go @Lylesalive. I'm more than happy to offer more advice. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
65 Kudos
41 Kudos
32 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos