Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

More Cable congestion.

A known issue with optus, but god it's been terrible of late.  I paid extra to try and get a good connection from home since I'm in an area with no NBN for a while and I need to be able to work from home on occasion, and there are literally days where I can't get over 2-5MB down.

There are also numerous times it's been too slow to even complete the speed test.  It is quite ridiculous.

screenshot

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: More Cable congestion.

Doesn't look like congestion. You should be able to get top speeds at say 11am or 11pm and see it drop at other times.

If you are paying for a speed pack based on those numbers I would stop doing that and request a refund for money paid to date.

Optus should definitely be able to do much better than 5Mbps although with the network due to be decomissioned and scrapped there's probably a (unofficial) limit to how much effort Optus are going to put in to fix stuff that's still sort of working. Help desk responses to this sort of problem usually say "Its a known issue and we are working on a fix. There is no timeline for the fix" aka we're waiting for the NBN like you. 

Can only suggest you first confirm or discount if it is congestion or if its just general poor speeds 90% of the day. If the later then lodge a official complaint and request someone look into it. Fingers crossed. Otherwise do you have access to any other cable supplier in the area?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It definitely feels like it happens more during evenings, but it could just be generally bad cable in the area.

I believe Telstra cable also service the area but I'd be paying more for a similar internet plan than I am to get the fetch tv bundled so I  can watch the EPL.

If it's generally poor connection, would asking them to put me on the speed pack help at all? Or I'd just be paying more for it to slow down to the same 2-5MB speed when something isn't right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A speed pack won't help if the data isn't coming through. Its like buying a bigger hose and expecting more water to come out of the same tap. Sorry. You will get the occassional full speed burst perhaps but when its low it low becase that's the best optus can send you.

You can get the EPL as a stand alone subscription from Optus now if that's any help.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, expected as much, that it's identical infrastructure just with less throttling... kinda sucks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Apparently it might be because of  'increased power' on the line... dunno how/why that happens unless they wired it up poorly, but I only have to wait a week for them to send someone to look at it... Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos