Searching...

Modems for Large Areas

S-tronic

Hi all, seeking advice from the people.

the premium Optus supplied sagem modems are not making the grade.

i was advise to talk to modem vendors for their advice.

As expected they all advised of the best modem from their ranges.

one thing in common was stated that my adsl 2 speeds where way to slow for any consistency in wifi.

they advised me (Net gear, Dlink, Tp link and Lynxsy) 4-5 mbps to speak to my service supplier for the speed to be increased.

spoke to Optus Tech services and they advised me that it cannot be increased. My previous distance was 3km from the exchange and the average when working was 9mbps to a top of 14mbps. Today I live 2.2kms and get less that half the speed.

I am seeking some real life answers please..

regards

S-Tronic

Re: Modems for Large Areas

petergdownload

Not to contradict the efforts but wifi is just the extension of your signal past where the wires end. If you get 4.5 Mbps to the modem then wifi will attempt to send 4.5 Mbps on over the air. Of course with increasing distance and walls in the way the speed delivered slow.

What they might have been referring to is that wifi easily handles speeds like 30mbps so your line speed is what is limiting you, not wifi.

As you've found you can't increase your ADSL speed. Lots of factors go into it. Like many you will be waiting for the NBN to arrive. What does the NBN address checker day for you?

You haven't actually said what you are looking for. Do you have a big house and want wifi everywhere? Are you able to run cat5 cable to various rooms in your house? 

So you live in a 4g area?

What sort of devices are you wanting to use with wifi.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

S-tronic

Thanks Peter

the wifi signal is weak, even in the living room the TV is no more than 4 m in direct site. I get constant buffering. The strength metre on all my gear is anywhere between 50-75%. The strength in other rooms, even using repeaters is not great with constant drop outs. 

Trying to watch any of the streaming TV providers is frustrating with buffering throughout a show. It’s like having constant commercial breaks. 

I live in the inner west of Sydney, a black spot for all carriers of 4g , best is 3G standing in the street. Sad to say I live 6 km to the Sydney CBD. According to the tech help line there are no planned upgrades by Optus for the next 18 months. 

I am guessing the Wifi strength is modem related no speed related  

just need a product that will work is a large apartment. 

S-tronic

Thanks Peter

the wifi signal is weak, even in the living room the TV is no more than 4 m in direct site. I get constant buffering. The strength metre on all my gear is anywhere between 50-75%. The strength in other rooms, even using repeaters is not great with constant drop outs. 

Trying to watch any of the streaming TV providers is frustrating with buffering throughout a show. It’s like having constant commercial breaks. 

I live in the inner west of Sydney, a black spot for all carriers of 4g , best is 3G standing in the street. Sad to say I live 6 km to the Sydney CBD. According to the tech help line there are no planned upgrades by Optus for the next 18 months. 

I am guessing the Wifi strength is modem related no speed related  

just need a product that will work is a large apartment. 

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

It has been known for people to swap over to Telstra or internode, etc and get speeds that they should be getting. The easiest way to find out what you could get, is knock on a few neighbour's doors and find out what company they are with, and what they get. That strange ADSL speed is the first thing you should look at.

Also possible that your copper line is corroded, or one of those line filters is destroying things. You might have to swap to a company that is more motivated to fix things.

petergdownload

Hi @S-tronic,

So it seems you have two issues speeds to the home and wifi speeds in the home.

I agree the modem appears to be part of the issue. If you can answer the questions I asked above then I'll be in a better position to give you some thoughts.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

S-tronic

Hi Peter

you are correct

i believe I have two seperate issues. 

One Optus need to investigate the other the modem is failing. 

Regards

S

S-tronic

Hi there

i have been with Optus since the first year of operations in Australia. Up to 2014 the service supplies have been second to none. 

I am one of the loyal crowd but it is getting thin

strangely you mentioned internode. On the news yesterday Sun13th, internode come out as the best service provider above all the majors. Telstra and Optus on the bottom with  equal stars. 

What happened to the customer experience we have learned to expect.?

Price paid , service provided. 

10000000000GB

Telstra probably owns your line, and if you have a copper fault, is more likely to fix it.

https://www.communications.gov.au/what-we-do/internet/competition-broadband/telstras-separation-fram...

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
74 Kudos
54 Kudos
50 Kudos
31 Kudos
20 Kudos