cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor MarlinBoy
New Contributor

Modems Out of Stock??? You must be Kidding me???

I signed up to switch from Telstra to Optus NBN primarily to get Premier League on Fetch.  My main concern was minimising down time so I asked some detailed questions to reassure myself that all would be OK.  I was told I would be kept in the loop by SMS and eMail and would have a maximum of 1-2 hours downtime on the day.

This morning, without any notice, my Internet dropped out and when I rang Telstra they told me that Optus had taken the line over and to ring them.  This wa concerning as I have not received a modem or any contact from Optus . When I rang Optus, after being on the phone for an hour and a half and transferred around 3 departments I was finallky told that the warehouse is out of stock of NBN modems and they can't tell me when the modems will be in stock again, or when I can get one - really!>?/?|

I'm still in a state of shock - why did Optus take my internet service over if they can't fulfil or even give me an indication of when?

Don't go near these people - they are crooks (PS: posting this via laptop tethered to mobile phone (Telstra - working perfectly)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Modems Out of Stock??? You must be Kidding me???

What postcode are you in Marlin?

Have you got the NBN provided modem installed yet?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor MarlinBoy
New Contributor

Nelson Bay NSW 2315

There has been no modem delivered - I am sitting here dead in the water for NBN using mobile tethered to laptop.

Just appalling!

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah. It sounds pretty poor. No doubt just a stuff up of no communication between departments - The Fixed Line department would probably be just as surprised as you are to learn Optus has no modems in stock. Smiley Surprised

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there's anything you can do in the short term. If the issue continues much longer Optus should arrange you to get a temporary 4G modem with a big data allowance. Perhaps try calling a local Optus store? No reason they should stock modems but maybe. 

@Optus if you're listening, perhaps get the Warehouse to pick up the phone and tell the Fixed Line Department they're out of modems so they can stop disconnecting people?

Despite the lack of info, I suspect supply will resume pretty quickly, but it may be a few more days for you Smiley Sad

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Marlin Boy...  Peter is essentially correct.  He always provides excellent advice.  I would also ring or go on chat and tell the person you deal with that unless a modem is forthcoming you will complain to the TIO ...see here:

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

They don't like it when customers go to the TIO as it costs them money to resolve the issue.  Hang in there...it's just inexcusable that they would "run out" of modems...this is a multi-million dollar company, for heaven's sake!

0 Kudos