Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Eltoro
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Modem won't turn on

I got home from holidays and my modem won't switch on.  Will. I order another from optus or just use my net gear one?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Modem won't turn on

if it is free then get one from optus..If you are on the NBN or cable internet, just be aware that if you get a third party modem, you will loose your home phone. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Eltoro
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok.  Thank you.  I'll see if I can get on to them as we've called a few times this week and they make us go through 10 minutes of pressing numbers then they say they're too busy and hangup.  

SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

if it is not free..then you can pickup a cheap optus modem from Gumtree., I am sure there are few on there, heck i have a couple sitting in my garage.. with your existing modem, unplug everything, let it sit for 5 minutes and connect just the power from another power point and see if it will start up.

see how you go with call, while you are on hold, try the online chat sometimes its faster.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Eltoro
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Online chat has me waiting and still hasn't answered yet.  

I left modem in cupboard for a day or so while I tried to use the net gear one.  It won't hook up but at least the lights all show its working.  The POTUS one won't turn on even after sitting for a bit.. 

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

what type of service do you have? if the netgear works then keep it going till the replacement arrives. It could be a power surge that killed your modem...we had a power lost here few days ago. 

Eltoro
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

yes we had a storm while we were away but wasn't here to check modem at that point.  I can't get netgear to work and the netgear company wants to charge us $90 for support.  Oh well.  Out of internet for a long while now I guess.  Kids not happy and I can't get a hold of optus.  Pretty stuck I think.  

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Oh no, that is not good, please PM a moderator for help. I usually look at other post and find a member with a moderator tag and PM them, eg Dan_C.

What is the model of optus and netgear modem that you have? What type of connection do you have? What happens when you connected the netgear? 

Eltoro
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

gateway f@st 3864op ADSL

Sagemcom

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

is the netgear an adsl modem? if it is then do a factory reset and enter your optus adsl login details. that should get you connected. Unfortunately, I've got rid of my last ADSL modem the other day on gumtree.

If you  have your login details handy, then jump on gumtree and look for a adsl modem locally. I sold mine for $10, there are plenty around, go for the ones under $15. it all depends on what you need, ie just a connection or wifi etc..either way I would spend upto $15 for a basic one and upto $70 for one will all the bells the whistles. you can pick up a brand new one for $35

https://www.umart.com.au/Netgear-D1500-100AUS-Essentials-Ed-Wireskk-N300-Modem-Router_29371G.html

a basic one for $19 

https://www.umart.com.au/Edimax-AR-7188WNA-150Mbps-Wireless-ADSL-Modem-Router_35814G.html

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-3864op/k0?categoryRedirected=true

Which area are you in ?