Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Modem with the New $80 broadband plan

I have recently upgraded my broadband plan to a new advertise p$80 plan. The main reason for upgrading the plan is to get a powerful new modem (as stated in the add) and other plus services. When i moving to new upgrade, i have to scarifies free local calls and the cap up mobile calls. I did that knowingly, so it is not an issue.

But I expects to have more powerful modem as stated in the advertisement. After connecting to new modem, i realised that the wi-fi capacity of the new modem is far lower than the previous one. So, i had personnel family issue, with my family member, since new modem with router was not even able to send signal for 6 meter distance. But when i negotiate, sales team advise me, the new modem is more powerful than the old.

Today, after six to seven days struggle, i was able to get connected with a Optus technical person. He said, the new modem (which are coming with cables) are powerful in the sense of data delivery, but not in delivery distance. What he said, it capacity is only 6 meter but the pervious old one, i got four years ago is more power full than the new one according to the information provided by the Optus tech?

So, why do you guys explaining it before....? So we can make a inform judgment on connecting with new modem. 

Dose Optus not able to give its’ customers new powerful wifi router with high capacity, distance and the data delivery.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Modem with the New $80 broadband plan

Hi SLS,

It appears your modem is broken. Any modem today should be providing a signal 25+ metres away.

Signal distance does get lower if you are in another room or have several walls between you and the modem.

As a test try connect to the modem when you can still see the modem (or only have plaster wall between you and the modem). If you can't get further then 10m away then request a reqplacement modem from Optus.

Also try connecting with two different devices (its possible you're first device is the faulty one)

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

PS I find it best to use LIVECHAT on this website. Its open 24/7 and easier to get through on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes I did all what you suggested.

It is a brand new modem i got it from Optus with my upgrade. By the way, I just mention what the OPTUS TECHNICAL STAFF MEMBER MENTIONED TAHT, NOT ME. The new modem is effective only for 6-8 meter according to him. His suggetion was to go for the old one since it is better coverage. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If you can see the modem and can only get 7m range then it is faulty.

Sometimes you will have to ring back to get a different person who is differently informed.

Tell them:

1) The modem WIFI is working (You can connect to it and access the internet)

2) You can only connect closer than 5m (direct line of sight)

3) Please send a replacement modem 

That said, the Optus modem doesn't have a good reputation for WIFI it seems. You could turn the wifi off in the new modem. plug the old modem into the network and configure its wifi? Its a slower speed but maybe better range?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for you help. To get connect with Optus by phone is really annoying thing. I have clearly mention all you mentioned, in the phone and even in the chat. but unfortunatly, no help at all.

0 Kudos