Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Mikael
New Contributor

Modem router upgrade

I want to upgrade my current optus modem router which is more than 5 years old. Is it possible to upgrade to a new modem router with a coixal input and phone input which:

- uses the latest IEEE wifi standards (80211ac), and

- allows for the use of parental controls via firmware?

I'd appreciate any recommendation and price idea.

Thanks, Mikael

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Modem router upgrade

There are several post on the forum asking questions about cable and dsl modems at the moment and none of them have been answered. Given my limited experience with cable I have sort out the list of modems that are apparently available with Optus and there is also a list of compatible devices. I had a quick browse of the list and it show several Netgear devices that should do the job.  I didn’t see any reference to parental controls on the couple of devices that I clicked on so you may need to have an in-depth look at them. I have found Netgear devices to be reliable and fairly up to date with all the latest features. I have read some bad press on the Sagecom modems however not having had one I can’t tell you anything more.

Have a look at the link below for more information. If you find a suitable modem it wouldn’t be very difficult to get an idea on price.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/modem-equipment-setup-user-guides-fixed-broadband?reques...

New Contributor guysavage
New Contributor

Netgear has a good parent control package that allows you to set by device, user group and even times. Eg you can block social media during homework, etc. Here is a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdL9EndJgc

You can also manage via tablet or phone and turn access off totally any time through their genie software. 

Also I use the Netgear 6300 and the best place I have found is cpl.net.au

Cheers,

RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Just adding to the discussion. You are able to connect your own modem/router for ADSL connections however will need to purchase Cable modems from us. This is because they contain special firmware to work within our Cable network. You can bridge your cable modem and connect up your own router to run the Wi-fi and internal network. Instructions on how to do this can be found online.

New Contributor graemeasia
New Contributor

I currently have a Motorola Sb 5101 which I need to upgrade to take advantage of the speed pack option. I have been with Optus since they started in Oz so it's been a while. I also have a Netgear AC1900 smart WiFi router & have recontra cited both mobile  &  home bundled services. Please advise what options are  available. 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Just need to contact Optus to discuss your options. I personally am a fan of live chat - http://yesopt.us/chat2us but calling 133937 works to 🙂

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
New Contributor jonbloomer
New Contributor

HOW do you purchase modems, I've been looking everywhere on your site and can't see anything? I have had my cable router for about 6 years and it's starting to overheat and the signal drops out so really need to buy a new one.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Moderator Kartika

Hi @jonbloomer, sorry to hear about your cable modem issue.  If your modem is playing up and if you need to arrange a new one then you need to contact Tech Support on 131344 (open 24x7).

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos