cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor major
Occasional Contributor

Re: Modem password entry

This is very amusing - you moderators appear to be dismissing this very lightly.

With scant regard for security. Please read the link posted - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2919762/Hacking-Wi-Fi-s-child-s-play-Seven-year-old-s... - maybe it needs to be taken to social media - Optus providing unsecured modems ... - maybe on current affair ... - then maybe we could get a decent response.

Occasional Contributor TheOne
Occasional Contributor

Major,

I fully agree with your comments. It's rediculous and unacceptable to be not able to password protect a modem configuration at this day and age.

After more than 2 weeks I still received no answer for this issue. I would have to contact Optus support to sort it out.

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

I called and spoke with the Optus Technical Support - after much reluctance - they transferred me to their Team lead - he was not aware of this issue - said he would bring it to the attention of their level two guys - and took down my personal contact details - have not received a response yet.

What is even more hilarious - is that Optus provide us customers with a 'fridge-magnet' stick on with our SSID and Wi-Fi password - very handy and in plain sight for anyone to access your modem.

Occasional Contributor

Ha ha ha Smiley LOL no brainer!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan_DS,

I am using this modem in my house only. Yes, that's not a problem without password protection.  I do have an investment property where individual renting each of the 4 rooms.  I have TPG unlimited internet.  Modem provited by TPG.

If I do not password protect it anyone including the renters friends and associates could play around with the modem settings.  It actually happened once when it was not protected in the beginning.  Someone changed the channel number and internet was down.  I have to drive 45 minutes there to correct it.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Dan_DS
RetiredModerator

I've passed the feedback on guys, but please be assured the chances of anyone hacking into your Wi-Fi and changing these settings is minimal. Sure, the Daily Mail  may have a 7 year old who can hack into a public Wi-Fi network, but that is irrelevant in this discussion as your home network is NOT a public Wi-Fi network. It's a secured network with a lengthy alpha-numeric WPA key for anyone who wants to connect to the Wi-Fi. You can change the Wi-Fi password and lock out anyone who had access. I can't stress enough that someone has to be connected to your modem to make any of those settings changes.

There are websites listing the default passwords for almost every brand of router on the market. This is no new thing, routers have had default passwords for years now and there has been no major security scare, no large scale hacks on home networks where the hacker logged into the router settings to wreak havoc.

In your circumstance above @TheOne, although you've mentioned the situation occurred on a TPG modem/router, I would suggest choosing a trusted tenant to be in charge of modifying those settings if required to save you a 45 minute drive.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hello Dan,

I have tried your suggestion. Non of the tenants wanted to take over reponsibility of the modem.  Their reasons: "we are paying rent why should we want to spend time doing something for the owner".  I don't like the outcome but I have to accept it.

It left me no choice but to password protect the modem from unauthorised access and alteration.  In this respect I am lucky to be able to password protect it.  I have two other spare modems (both password protected) all set up with the same configuration.  I left one at the premise.  If the connected modem fail the tenants can easily swap over with the spare modem.

If it is the Sagecom Fast 3864 I would not be able to use it there.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

You moderators appear to have plenty time on your hands or this may be your fulltime occupation. Please do waste ours with 'agony aunt' responses - assuring us of things. Get on and have this resolved - to resolve a problem - you first need to accept that there is one - in this case a dodgy firmware - so stop this nonsensical responses and provide a proper update from your technical team as to when how proper firmware with this bug patched can be made available to us at the earliest.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, major,

My work involving computer systems & IT for 30 years.  I couldn't recall a modem I came across, including the cheapy ones, could not be password protected.

It's Sagencom/Optus reputation on the line if they don't get their act together. This is not helping Sagencom in their commercial success.  They better come quick with a new fixing firmware.

New Contributor geoffrochester
New Contributor

Hi,

There are numerous posts about the frustration of the Fast3864 sagcomm modem with the optus specific firmware which prevents one from locking access to the modem settings with a password. 

After much research I have found what the admin password is, but because the hthml code redirects to a page where the password is by passed (http://192.168.x.1/main.html?loginuser=1) it doesnt matter what the password is.

I can understand why Optus want to lock down key configurartion settings but why prevent users being able to protect control panel access with a password for LAN users. Doesnt make any sense given OPTUS have a back dore entery they can use at any time.

I see from this post that Optus may be  looking at adding this feature in future firmware releases. Has this happened yet and when might that be.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors