Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor cherft
Occasional Contributor

Modem lost all login credentials

SHORT STORY

My NETGEAR Gateway CG3000-2STAUS Internet WiFi MODEM/Router was "hung" (all lights on steady). So I tried restarting it a couple of times, then had to Factory Reset it. Came up all right and the cable internet connection working OK for this PC and the WiFi SEEMS to be working OK (drops out and in very frequently), but has reverted to its out-of-box SSID, which I want to change, if I can find the correct passwords for the Router and for the WiFi.

This is when I found that the MODEM/Router appears to have lost all the previous know login credentials. Or has it? I may not be connecting to it . . .!

LONG STORY

I recently gave up my beloved Optus HF Cable - f-a-s-t and reliable (got more than the 100Mbps I was paying for as regularly measured by Ookla).

So now I am on 25Mbps for the same cost as previously for 100Mbps and getting almost 22Mbps. Not the worst thing. Wifi (with the supplied SAGEMCOM Gateway F@ST 3864AC NBN) coverage has dropped from 20+meters to less than 5meters and life w the missus is hell!

Complained to Optus for 2 months. So Optus sent me a NEW MODEM (Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864V3 AC). No coverage improvement.

Complained for another month. Optus finally "upgraded" me to 50Mbps for free, and I'm getting aound 47Mbps as per Ookla. THEN the support guy suggested that I hook up my "good" (Netgear) MODEM/Router to the "bad" Sagemcom and only use the Netgear WiFi.

So my setup (as suggested by the Optus support guy) now is:

NBN (using the existing Foxtel cable)-->NBN NTU-->Sagemcom - Wifi OFF, House Phone ON, LAN1-->Netgear LAN1 port, Netgear LAN port2 to this PC, Netgear WiFi ON.

PC works FINE in this config. Ookla 42Mbps (typical evening speed). But WiFi a bit iffy.

However, my FIRST PRIORITY is to connect to the Netgear and change the Router and WiFi credentials.

So, dear readers who have got this far in this missive, please can you help me connect to the Netgear. The Typical 192.168.0.1 takes me throught the Netgear to the Sagemcom.

I thank you for reading so far and look forward to your suggestions.

Cheeers

Chris

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Modem lost all login credentials

G'day @cherft, it looks like we've missed this one. I just wanted to check in and see whether you still needed a hand? I'm of the impression that you can’t access the Netgear GUI if you're connected to the modem in bridge mode. 

If you managed to get that working, it'd be great to know how you went about it 🙂 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan_C

The problem still exists. But it has morphed from the last description.

To recap, I have now run out of ethernet ports on the Optus NBN Sagemcom MODEM/Router because of Foxtel.

Did have 1.PC, 2.Media Server, 3&4 NAS connected.

Then last week along came Foxtel and changed Foxtel to Satellite,

The Sagemcom WiFi Router is SOOOOO weak (that's a WHOLE other story posted on 21 June) we had to go Powerline from the new Foxtel Settop Box to my study where the Router is. Foxtel insisted the other Powerline ethernet had to go directly into the Sagemcom Router. 

So he unplugged the 2 NAS ethernet leads and plugged the PL in. Foxtel works fine now.

Earlier story was I was trying to use the "better" WiFi performance of my old Netgear router as the Sagemcom is woreful.

So I unplugged Lead 1 from the Sagemcom, plugged in a new Ethernet cable instead and the other end into the Netgear.

Then I plugged in the detached PC ethernet cord into the Netgear too and fired it up. Turned Netgear WiFi Off. PC works perfectly in this extended mode (is this what you call "Bridge"?).

So in configuration PC<>Netgear <ethernet>Sagemcom<>NBN, PC works just fine. However 192.168.0.1 takes me to the Sagemcom. I cannot find the Netgear.

Why do I need to do this?

Because now the only ports available for the NAS are on the Netgear and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to access the netgear and configue the NAS.

By the way, the PC also works perfectly plugged into the Sagemcom, I leave it plugged directly into the Netgear to prove that the electrical connections all work just fine. Just the logical connection to the Netgear and to the NAS are missing.

I also would like to eventually disable the WiFi on the Sagemcom and enable it on the Netgear. And to do this I need to log in to the Netgear and rename the WiFi SSID and Password.

H-E-L-P!

thanks a mil

Chris

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

thanks again Dan_C

I think I might have solved this by cabling directly to the Netgear. then I can log in.

All the best

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, great stuff 🙂 Thanks for the update mate! Shout out if something else comes up in the future 🙂 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan_C

Appreciate your attention.

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
Top Contributors