Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Thoscy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Modem Sagemcom 5366

Hi YetAnotherAcc, thanks for your remarks.  Indeed, I inserted another Optus SIM into the Ultra Modem and disconnected the DSL cable, sure enough all the Network and Signal lights came on, verifying that the modem is working but the original SIM from Optus is faulty!  I went an Optus Shop this morning, the reception said that a replacement SIM had been sent out to me two days ago!?  I should receive it next week.  So, they can't issue me another replacement SIM.  I have never experienced so much frustration with any other ISP!  Perhaps Optus is too big and have too many customers to afford a good service (support)?

0 Kudos
Thoscy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My Optus App does not work for me?  I can log in with my email address and the password.  But error message came up: "We're unable to display your service via our app.  Please log in to website to view your service."  When I "go to my account" on the web, again I can log in with email and pasword, then the "Link my Optus service" came up.  I tried putting in my email address, Optus username, home phone number, but none of these worked?  I called your 133 937 number and got passed from one operator to another.  None of them could help or do anything?  Very frustrating!!

0 Kudos
Tom_nickname
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

After reading through these posts, I decided to test the "4G Fallover" of my Sagemcom 5366 LTE. This unit arrived last Monday, so it should have a working SIM.

I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the Red socket. The one that connects it to the NBN HFC Modem.

1 minute, nothing. 6 minutes (threads say it may take this long), nothing. 45 minutes, nothing. Power cycle it, wait 6 minutes, nothing.

Check the Web-based control ("Yes My Gateway"). It says "SIM card status: inserted" but there's nothing saying why it won't make a 4G connection. Under "Internet Connectivity / Connection" it has "Authorize Mobile connection" set to "on" and the APN and Band are set up.

Is there anything else I can try? Should there be anything in the Logs ("Modem Settings / Maintenance / Logs") to say it is trying or failing to connect?

0 Kudos
Thoscy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, it looks like you might also have received a faulty SIM.  As pointed out before, you could go into an Optus shop and request a replacement SIM.  In my case, after making a number of phone calls to Optus helpline and wasted hours, although none of the receptionists acknowledged the faulty SIM, a new SIM was sent to me unexpectedly and when I put it into the modem, instant successive (4G lights blinking!).  I guess the Optus shop can also check your current SIM.  It might not have been activated? Good luck.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Is there anything else I can try? 

As you have the stability problems that you mentioned in your other thread, I'd recommend doing the factory reset, and then doing the 4G backup test again.

Should there be anything in the Logs ("Modem Settings / Maintenance / Logs") to say it is trying or failing to connect?

I don't have the LTE version of this modem, so don't know what the logs would look like.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Thoscy wrote:

I guess the Optus shop can also check your current SIM.  It might not have been activated? 

What they did with the original bad batch was send out an incompatible SIM, so even if it was activated it would not have worked.

0 Kudos
Tom_nickname
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am in Victoria and we are under lockdown. I'm not sure that visiting an Optus store to get a SIM checked constitutes "food or other essential items". Maybe I can visit the Optus shop for "exercise". I do have one less than 5km away (just), but it is "open for appointments only". But I can't find out how to make an appointment.

The initial report of the "unlucky 800" was by @YetAnotherAcc three months ago:

>‎13-05-2020 10:51 PM
> If it still does not work then you may be one of the
> unlucky 800 people to receive an incorrect SIM.

I've only just got that modem this week. Could it be one of those (from 3 months ago), or could they have made some new "unlucky" batches?

Anyway, I've run some tests and the Optus Modem behaves in different ways. If I unplug the Ethernet between it and the NBN modem, it turns most of the front panel lights off and stays that way. I've given it 45 minutes to do something and it never does.

If I unplug the HFC cable from the NBN Modem (so the Ethernet link from it to the Optus device remains established), the Optus Modem drops the lights (eventually). But every few minutes it blinks various lights as it tries to connect again. I've left it for over an hour like that.

> What they did with the original bad batch was send
> out an incompatible SIM, so even if it was activated
> it would not have worked.

Shouldn't Optus know which ones are faulty, and shouldn't they send replacements without us asking?

0 Kudos
Thoscy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My modem arrived 3 weeks ago and the SIM was faulty.  So, my suspicion is that yours is also faulty? Since you can't go to an Optus Shop at present, I think you need to hassle Optus Sales or Tech Support and convince them to send you a working replacement.  You need to persist and put up with the hassle of telling the same story to many different persons from different departments!  I think at the end, they will send you a replacement via the post.  Good luck.

As YetAnotherAcct mentioned, the 4G feature is there such that when the modem arrives and you are still waiting for the NBN to be connected, the 4G backup should come on right away and you can use the 4G up to a month.  So, if you disconnect the NBN (equivalent to a dropout) cable, the 4G should kick in right away (within minutes).  So, if nothing happens as in your case, then it is most likely the SIM, or the modem itself (which is unlikely).  Over the phone, the operator should be able to test you NBN line and check you modem remotely (I think).

0 Kudos
Thoscy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, the Yes Crowd site does not seem to let me upload photos?  I tried a couple of time just now and both times came back with error uploading.  Otherwise, I could let you check the status of your modem and compare with mine.  Never mind.  Definitely your faulty SIM.

0 Kudos
Tom_nickname
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It is now working.

It was shipped with a SIM that needed to be ACTIVATED.

I contacted Optus via the "Chat" thing. The tech support guy asked for the Modem type, asked me to type in the numbers on the SIM and then said it would work.

It did. Nothing "obvious" happened until I unplugged the NBN, and then the "Signal" and blue "Network" lights came on and the backup was working.

So good work, Optus tech support.

0 Kudos