cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Modem Sagemcom 5366

Modem.jpg

I received this modem, but the user guide advises only how to connect.  Not how to use. Its working.  But would like to know what each indicator light means, what to do when they go off/on (trouble shooting purposes), and what the WPS and WiFi buttons are for.  Hope someone can help

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Modem Sagemcom 5366

That's the 5366 LTE (Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up)

Image1.png

• POWER - No Idea what that does 🤣
  • DSL - The DSL port on the back is being used for internet access. For NBN, this light should only be on for FTTN and FTTB connections.
  • WAN - The WAN port on the back is being used for internet access. For NBN, this light should be on for any type other then FTTN and FTTB.
  • INTERNET - Indicated that there is a working internet connection.
  • WI-FI - Indicates that wifi (2.4Ghz and/or 5Ghz) is turned on. 
  • PHONE - Indicates that a phone line is plugged into the phone port (and is active?) on the back. Note that when running in 4G backup mode that the phone will not work.
  • NETWORK - Indicates that the modem is in 4G backup mode. When internet via DSL/WAN goes down this indicator should light up and should automatically switch to 4G backup after 1-6 minutes. Speed will be dropped down to a maximum of 12/1 as it is using the 4G mobile network rather than a fixed line network.
  • SIGNAL - The strength of the 4G signal.
  • WIFI Button - Pressing this button will turn wifi on/off.
  • WPS Button - Pressing this button allows other devices to connect via the Wi-Fi Protected Setup method. Those devices usually have a WPS button themselves that needs to be pressed after the routers WPS button is pressed.

Note that since some people have received the incorrect SIM for the 4G backup service you should check that the 4G backup service works by temporarily disconnecting the DSL/WAN cable.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks so much for this advice.

Until I saw the image you provided I hadnt realised there was aqua coloured text under each light.  You will see its not clear on the photo I attached.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying. Very good information!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, i just wonder if ypu could clarify for me? I disconnected the DSL cable and waited for more than half hour. But the "Network" and "signal" lights never came on and no internet? Does that mean my SIM is not activated? What do I do from here to get the 4G backup?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, just wonder if you tested you modem and SIM? As suggested above, if you disconnect the WAN/DSL cable, the Network and Signal lights should come on and the internet connection continues. Did you test the system? And did you see the 4G kicks in?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Thoscy 

As you are unplugging the DSL cable I assume you are on either FTTN or FTTB, correct?

Try powering the Ultra off/on while the DSL cable is disconnected. If the Network & Signal lights don't come on within 10 minutes then you can assume its a faulty SIM.

There were ~800 dodgy 4G backup sims that were issued, it looks like you got one of them.

You need to take the SIM to a store and ask them to do a SIM replacement (not just issue you a new SIM). Make sure you tell them that its for the Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up. You should also confirm with them that its been activated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, thank you for all your help with this.  Yes, mine is FFTN.  I removed the DSL cable and then turned modem off and on again.  Waited for 20 minutes.  No sign of 4G on the modem and no internet on all devices!  So, I'll go to an Optus shop tomorrow and try to get a replacement SIM.  Wish me luck!

As a matter of interest, today I spent one hour on the phone talking to Optus support.  I was passed from one operator to another.  None of the first three operators knew what to do.  The fourth one told me at the end that you cannot test the SIM by disconnecting the cable.  The SIM will be activated once Optus detected an outage?!  She gave me the impression that until there is an outage detected by Optus NBN, the SIM is not active to avoid people using the 4G unnecessarily?!  I asked her to turn on the Network light on my modem so that I can be assured that the SIM is working.  She said she cannot!?  Totally unhelpful.  She said everything is OK on my account and from her computer she could see that the modem and the SIM are all OK.  She wanted me to trust her!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Thoscy,

I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing issues with your NBN and 4G back-up service.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.
If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Thoscy wrote:

The fourth one told me at the end that you cannot test the SIM by disconnecting the cable.  The SIM will be activated once Optus detected an outage?!  She gave me the impression that until there is an outage detected by Optus NBN

This is absolutely wrong. The 4G is not only intended for use during outages, but also for use while you wait to get the NBN connected. So in no way is it dependent on an outage.

the SIM is not active to avoid people using the 4G unnecessarily?

This is incorrect again. The SIMs come pre-activated (or at least they are supposed to 🙄). If they didn't then they could not be used while someone was waiting for a new NBN connection.

While obviously they don't wan't people to use 4G if they don't need to, using it to test that the backup system is working is not only perfectly acceptable, but a prudent thing to do.

I asked her to turn on the Network light on my modem so that I can be assured that the SIM is working.  She said she cannot!? 

And she should no be able to do so, at least not without actually turning on the backup. And if you were calling her via the landline then it would have terminated your phone call.

she could see that the modem and the SIM are all OK

I have no idea what information/stats about the SIM she has the ability to see. Maybe she could see that there was a SIM in there, but it has to be the right type of SIM to work with as backup.

0 Kudos