Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mobile broadband suddenly really slow

About 2 weeks ago my mobile broadband suddenly become really slow - almost unusable.  I haven't changed anything in my hardware or method of connecting. I'm not sure what to do...other than try another provider. I had been a Virgin mobile user for years without a problem so I'm inclined to think it's somehow due to my recent (4 mths ago) change to Optus (which wasn't by choice - Virgin left the internet retail business requiring customers to make alternate arrangements). Has anyone else had the same problem?  If so, can you recommend another provider?

Very frustrated - Carina Heights, Brisbane

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Mobile broadband suddenly really slow

@Gingerpony 

Have you tried rebooting and or resetting your modem?

If you have not tried these steps they are the first steps to take.

If there is no permanent improvement after these steps then I would contact Optus support. 

Explain your situation, tell them the steps you have taken to fix the situation and let the technicians attempt to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I should have further explained that my 'hardware' is an iPhone 6 and MacBook - no modem involved. I've been using this combo to hotspot for about 4 years. For the last couple of weeks I've been recording my speedtest results which average 13.25 down / 7.22 up early mornings, and 1.63 down / 3.35 up in the evening. Although I don't understand the data I recognise that the easy excuse is high volume traffic at peak times, however, I don't see how this could have suddenly and drastically changed 2 weeks ago when all other variables remained constant.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Gingerpony 

I would contact Optus Support.
There maybe an issue with the Account and or Phone Settings. 
If the Phone is not using the correct APN's that would cause issues.
As far as the account settings go it is possible something is not correct at the Optus end. 
I recently had a speed issue with a Mobile broadband account and the Optus Technician did a HLR (High Level Rebuild) and so far everything is working fine. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Many thanks, this is great advice. I hadn't considered these possibilities. Will follow up your suggestions asap.
0 Kudos