cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Marie189
Occasional Contributor

Mobile broadband modems

I have an Optus MBB Plus plan and using the Dongle HUAWEI - E5573 4G WiFi modem.

I am not getting good speeds (download or upload),

so IF I buy the 4G LTE Cat 6 Modem/Router

would I expect some definite improvement?

And can I connect it with USB and/or ethernet cable to my desktop computer?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Mobile broadband modems

You could get a E5186 from ebay and meddle around with it using the band locking software on Whirlpool forum. See what speeds you get on each band. Maybe that is a solution in itself.

If it's still slow, you might need to purchase cat 9 or 11. Why not hog the whole lot?

Also, report back what band the 5573 is settling on within the modem in device information. Is it band 28/700Mhz

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

However, if you live in a rural area, then no. You may only be getting band 28. You havent provided any information on your position, signal strength or number of trees obstructing your view of the tower.

Also the 5573 is a poor modem against the ZTE 920V or Netgear whatever. But it does have super powerful wifi.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

You seem a technically knowledgeable person (something I am not)

and hopefully with the added info I provide here you can give me

a more specific and helpful suggestion.

I live at Hurstville, Sydney (St. George area).

According to OPTUS the nearest tower is only about 1.5 km away.

I live in a ground level unit of an 8 units block.

There are two trees right outside our block of units.

I list below the modems and a link to their page.

Then you can click on “specifications” to read the technical details.

1. a) My current modem is the one below:

4G LTE Cat 6 Modem/Router

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobilebroadband/e5186/router

1. b) Option one, from Optus is the one below (that has ethernet connection capabilities)

4G Wi-Fi modem (Cat 4) E5573

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/huawei-e5573-wifi

1. c) Option two, from Optus, is the below modem

4G Plus Wi-Fi Modem (CAT 9) AC800S

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/netgear-ac800s

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

In terms of speed, the 800s is the brute force option, which will hold onto 3 bands at once - if it can get them from ONE tower.

The cheaper modems seem to suffer from landing onto the most congested bands. If you get a cat 9 modem, it will at least compete against all those people out there with latest iphones. However, it's expensive and runs on a battery. I have a 790s, which overcharges the battery. I don't know how well they have fixed the issue. People then have to put the 800s on an expensive cradle, which may also overcharge the battery, but has ethernet ports.

The E5186 has ethernet and can use two bands, but it could still lock onto two bad bands. It may need some prompting using the band locking software that only runs on this modem

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/optus_home_wireless_broadband

The Netgear 800s will probably have better internal antennas than the Huawei. But the Huawei will work well if you get a nice expensive external antenna, which you may have no way to put on your balcony, because the cable wont go through the windows. One guy eventually solved the E5186 balcony problem by putting it up at the window.

You can get the E5186 second hand on ebay, because people chuck them out when the NBN comes. You can at least check this option out rather cheaply.

The 800s will more than likely perform rather well, when you find some sweet spot on one of your windows. When you find this spot, it will also upload very well.

Unfortunately, the level of congestion in Hurstville will be variable. Optus have been selling too many large phone and tablet plans. It's common for people to load up on 500GB's worth of plan, plus unmetered Netflix. That's why you have to give yourself a fighting chance against your competition.

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Marie189

If you compare the modems that you've linked, they're all capable of connecting to almost the same 3G  and LTE bands. The modem that you're currently using along with the same AC800S is a dual band modem. You therefore have access to 802.11ac (5Ghz) and 2.4Ghz Wifi. 

2.4 does provide better coverage over long distances however 5.0 has a faster rate of data transfer over closer distances. 

Huawei E5186s-64 G LTE Cat 6 Modem/Router

LTE 700/1800/2300/2600MHz
DC-PA+/HSPA+/UMTS 900/2100MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Huawei E5573

900/2100MHz
4G NETWORK
FDD 1800/2600/700/2100MHz, TDD 2300MHz

Netgear AC00S

900/2100

4G BANDS (MHZ)

700 (B28), 1800 (B3), 2100 (B1), 2300 (B40), 2600 (B7)

as @10000000000GB has pointed out, cell congestion is a factor. The device will automatically try and connect to the least congested strongest available local Network. We've actually had a few reports come through YC reporting that their 800S has a tendency to lock onto 1800 (with a reported high drop out rate). 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Should point out that Dan is talking about wifi in the first part of his post, which is your household network, not 4G, which is normally called "wireless".

Some people think that wifi is what the cell tower is sending.

Actually can't find any cheap E5186 on ebay. They've all been bought.

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah. Yep, sorry. The way I constructed the first portion my post does sound like I was referencing the wider network rather than your household network.

To clarify, WiFi is a technology for wireless local area networking.

3G and 4G are the frequency bands responsible for the transmission of data to and from your local tower to the wider mobile network.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Apologies for my “confusion” due to only basic understanding of technical terms.

Also, I had previously listed the wrong model of modem that I currently use,

which actually is, HUAWEI - 4G Wi-Fi modem (Cat 4) E5573.

I will need to clarify a bit more, re my Optus plans, as per below:

- I have a mobile phone plan – 12M SIM and

an MBB Plus plan (data sim for my iPad), supposedly a 4G (not 3G).

- I do not have any Home Internet connection such as ADSL etc

- When I am at home, I want to use my Lenovo Desktop computer (with a big screen)

so, I remove the data sim card from my iPad and put in a Dongle/modem which is

the one mentioned above, HUAWEI - 4G Wi-Fi modem (Cat 4) E5573

and connect it to to a USB port on my desktop. This is Wi-Fi connection, not “wireless”, right?

- Sometimes, I get only 1Mbps Download speed (which is pathetic, frustrating and upsetting) and at the best of times, I only get about 3Mbps for both Download and Upload speed.

- I do not expect to subscribe to NBN any time soon, because it is not yet available in my area and also, I am a tenant and could move to another area in the near future. So, all I want is to get some Fair to GOOD speed (Download and Upload).

Anything above 5Mbps would be acceptable and anything up to 10Mbps or more (would be a dream come true)!!

- Please provide me with specific advice, solution options and recommended modems or antennas that could best apply to my particular case and problems.  

- I use the desktop in my lounge area and there is a huge window, about 4 feet away.

If I use a USB modem I cannot go near the window (unless maybe I use an antenna...?).

But if I use a modem like 4G LTE Cat 6 Modem/Router that can has an ethernet cable, 1.5m long, would that improve the situation?

- Finally, I would like to say that I do not mind spending some money, IF I can get the right product and the best results!

Thanks guys

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Apologies for my “confusion” due to only basic understanding of technical terms.

Also, I had previously listed the wrong model of modem that I currently use,

which actually is, HUAWEI - 4G Wi-Fi modem (Cat 4) E5573.

I will need to clarify a bit more, re my Optus plans, as per below:

- I have a mobile phone plan – 12M SIM and

an MBB Plus plan (data sim for my iPad), supposedly a 4G (not 3G).

- I do not have any Home Internet connection such as ADSL etc

- When I am at home, I want to use my Lenovo Desktop computer (with a big screen)

and connect it to to a USB port on my desktop. This is Wi-Fi connection, not “wireless”, right?

- Sometimes, I get only 1Mbps Download speed (which is pathetic, frustrating and upsetting) and at the best of times, I only get about 3Mbps for both Download and Upload speed.

- I do not expect to subscribe to NBN any time soon, because it is not yet available in my area and also, I am a tenant and could move to another area in the near future. So, all I want is to get some Fair to GOOD speed (Download and Upload).

Anything above 5Mbps would be acceptable and anything up to 10Mbps or more (would be a dream come true)!!

- Please provide me with specific advice, solution options and recommended modems or antennas that could best apply to my particular case and problems.  

- I use the desktop in my lounge area and there is a huge window, about 4 feet away.

If I use a USB modem I cannot go near the window (unless maybe I use an antenna...?).

But if I use a modem like 4G LTE Cat 6 Modem/Router that can has an ethernet cable, 1.5m long, would that improve the situation?

- Finally, I would like to say that I do not mind spending some money, IF I can get the right product and the best results!

Thanks guys

Thanks guys

0 Kudos