Searching...
Highlighted

Mobile broadband data usage issues

Help83

have anyone experience unusual high data usage when using wireless Mobile broadband. This morning when I checked my data usage at 7:30 am,  I  had used up already 20 GB+ for at 7:30 am today.....and I am not even turn on my PC for today  How can i consumed that much data.. 

Does anyone experience this? how can you solve the problem? I have spoken to Optus technician. but they are not helpful at all a

Re: Mobile broadband data usage issues

Yeldarb

The data usage reporting system is delayed and if you hit the data fairly hard the day before it doesn't show up until the next day. I think I would be changing your wifi password as a precaution in the off chance it's not you using the data.

Help83

I did a test today. I disconnect everything. and only connected my mac machine. 

I turn on the network monitor tools, it stated I have consumed 2.67GB . But in the mobile broadband, it stated I have consumed 14+ GB , look like Optus just multiply your actual consumption 5 times and try to get all the money from you. 

I WILL HIGHLY SUGGEST DO NOT GET the MOBLIE BROADBAND. it is useless it will consumed all your data allowance in 5 days 

Yeldarb

Did you change your WiFi password and what are you looking at that says 14+ GB has been used?

Help83

Yes I did changed my WiFi password in day 1 . I log in to my Optus account and click on the mobile data usage page. And then details . It shout me over 14+ GB have been used . It is impossible . I spoken to Optus technician few time already . But they are not helpful at all . I wish I didn’t join this plan . 

Yeldarb

You have to wait up to 4 hours for the data portal to catch up so your usage could be more. From the time you changed your password have you been able compare the data usage?

Help83

I haven’t compare the data after I changed the password yet . But constant looking at what device connect to my mobile boardband . All is legit only my laptop 

is it really have to wait four hrs , today I woke up it stated I used 2gb today . But i don’t even use any internet from 12-7 am 

Yeldarb

Up to 4 hours I think the portal says. I have noticed myself its sometimes longer. So basically if you start with no usage first thing in the morning and disconnect at lunch time you need to wait till 4PM to see how much data you have used during that period. If you have changed the password and your pc data usage does not correspond with the account portal then something is wrong. Either Optus is overcharging you or someone is still using your data. If the modem says only one user then it points at Optus.

Help83

I think I found what had happened. Optus must have some data usage calculation problem . 

My phone and my moblie mobile are in the same shared pool. previously my phone will connect to wifi ( mobile boardband ) then go on internet , ( Optus count me use roughly 20 GB + per day ) , There two days My phone use 4G instead of connect to wifi ,  Mobile boardband only consumed 2GB per day and phone only consumed roughly 500 MB per day .. 

I can't believe this was the problem . And i called optus so many times, and no one can advised me . they are so useless 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
48 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos