cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor FamilyMan
Contributor

Mobile Broadband monthly bill increased

I tried to use livechat for this.  But the guy asked if I would wait a moment, disappeared, and the chat eventually timed out.

For several months I've received monthly invoices for $69.99 for the 100GB mobile broadband plan.  My latest invoice shows $70.26 instead. I do realise the bill PDF states fees will be INCREASING, however, I wasn't paying any fees in the first place TO increase them from one amount to the other.

I always pay my bills well within time (except the second-last one due to the scammers at MIA Sphere).  That was not my fault.  So if that was the reason I'm now being charged when I wasn't before, please reset it back to $69.99.  Being on a disability pension I already extended myself financially to contract to this plan. When I sign up to a 24 month contract at $69.99 per month, then I expect to pay what was in the contract: $69.99 per month for 24 months.  But now I find Optus can vary the invoice total at will.

Could someone please set my monthly invoices back to $69.99?

The invoice number is: 000004741195 and the last 3 digits of my account number are 848.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Mobile Broadband monthly bill increased

Hi,

Such extremes. Just came from a post who noticed after 6 months he was paying $100 a month extra on scam premium SMS services. Here you are chasing down 27 cents. Agree totally you need to be vigilent on all contracts you enter into. If you miss the 27 cents then the next bill might be $100!

First thing to check is just what the extra is for. You bill should show exactly where the money has been allocated? Do you direct debit and have no paper bills? It might also be a charge for a call to some number (1300?) not covered in the plan (again it will be listed)

FWIW no one can ammend your bill here. You'll need to get to live chat (its 24/7) but billing might need to be in business hours.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

From 1 January 2018, the card payment processing fee will be increasing to 0.427% (inc GST).

Thats what shows on the Optus pay you bill page, so could be that.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Contributor FamilyMan
Contributor

Oh, it says on the PDF: "From 1 January 2018, the card payment processing fee will be *increasing* to 0.427%. To avoid this fee set-up direct debit."  But as above, for several months I wasn't charged any fee for them TO increase to 0.427%.  So I assumed I'm only being charged now because one invoice went overdue (and I'm now considered a 'risk', thanks to the cockroaches at MIA Sphere).

Optus corrected two invoices over in the MIA Sphere thread. So I thought it would be the same in this case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

0.427 is pretty close to 27 cents.

Not sure why the non direct debit fee wasn't being applied (and perhaps the MIA sphere shook something loose) but the 27c fee appears standard. You'll need to set up direct debit to avoid it I'm afraid (Optus never waive this fee)

Regards 

Peter Gillepsie

Occasional Contributor Adiren1111
Occasional Contributor

Live Chat is HOPELESS. Been trying to connect for over a week as my mobile broadband has also increased but by $5 a month. Optus have taken off a Plan Acess Fee Discount that I have had for over 18 months with no notification. Now I cannot get it fixed or even change my plan to a lower one as cannot get in contact with anyone. You would think Chat would be a quick option since phone is also hopeless. Why is there not an email address so at least my concern will be looked at eventually..??

0 Kudos
Contributor FamilyMan
Contributor

Have just been told by someone else they did get the extra charge removed. Since no mod seems interested in this thread I'll have to go searching for one. Thanks all.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@FamilyMan, it's not a matter of whether we're interested or our willingness to assist or lack thereof. This is a community run forum, we'll always jump in where we can but if a contributor has offered a valid resolution then there's simply no need for us to respond. The charge is a credit card payment fee. 

Credit card payment fee: Payments made via credit, debit or charge cards incur a 0.427% (inc GST) payment processing fee. The fee will appear on the next account after the bill is paid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor FamilyMan
Contributor

A payment fee - to pay a bill. Never heard of such a thing in my ~50 years and I've been with many ISPs and several telcos. Direct debit is an electronic transaction. As is BPAY.  No human is involved.  So I find it hard to believe there's any cost difference between the two. Oh I'm sure it's in the contract Optus can vary charges at will. Still doesn't make it morally correct to charge customers who pay on time - to pay a bill, varying the fee at will.  Especially given the plan I'm on has just been on sale for about $55 instead of the $70 I'm paying, and/or comes with 140GB rather than the 100GB of my plan.

Customers are often forced to use BPAY due to past poor customer service. i.e. After being burned by telcos/support staff, people choose to pay manually using BPAY. It means when mistakes like MIA Sphere occur, the customer immediately sees it.  Optus charging to pay our bill is another example of why that mistrust is sadly still justified.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

In regards to your plan.

100Gb is month to month (unless you bundle with a tablet then thats over 12/24 months) - did not have a christmas special so still $70.00

140Gb is a 12 month contract (had a christmas special for 25% off down to $52.50)

Credit card fees are valid - the companies are charged a fee for processing so pass this onto the customer (recently excessive credit card surcharges were "stopped" by the gov so its better than it used to be.

Direct debit can mean lower costs for a company - such as a lesser chance of not being paid on time, as for BPAY charges - I am not aware of what fees are involved as have never paid via BPAY.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!