Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Mobile Broadband Sim Only

jopador

I have a mobile broadband home plan ($80/month with 500GB data) which came with the Huawei modem. I'm finding that the 500GB is not enough for our family of 6. Rather than get billed extra or have the speed throttled, I'm wondering if I can get a second plan (sim only) and just swap over the sim in the modem when we're getting close to the data limit.

Can someone let me know if that is possible? Don't really want to spend on another modem if we've already got one. Also open to other suggestions if anyone has one.

Thanks.

Re: Mobile Broadband Sim Only

Jeneral__Pain

You could but it would be a painful process to keep switching things every month to work around the fact you've set up a service that isn't suitable for your needs.

Have you considered a fixed connection? (ie: NBN or DSL depending on your location). I know you're about to say "but everyone complains about NBN", however most faults with NBN are caused by internal copper/old hardware etc. Whilst yes a small subset suffer poor speeds because the ISPs connection from the area isn't powerful enough, that's generally not the case.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Yeldarb

If you can data pool with a second sim you don't need to swap sims at all. If you are looking for better value you can't go past a wired connection as 

jopador

Thanks ... I should have mentioned this earlier. Unfortunately, wired services are not available in my area. I've tried getting ADSL, cable and NBN ... Optus has told me that my location is not available. Home mobile broadband was the only solution.

jopador

Data pooling sounds like a good idea. Can someone from Optus reply and let me know if this is possible? Or give me some suggestions on what else I can do? Thanks.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

500Gb should be enough for most families your size. But I can see it might be pushing things. Perhaps do a bit of a review on usage as its possible one family member is chewing through 300Gb+ while the rest are under 40Gb?

You could possibly solve the data issue for the heavy user with a mobile phone plan that suits?

I assume you're on Optus mobile phone family data sharing? 

Getting another SIM should be pretty straight forward. You could just swap them on the 15th of each month so there's no need to track usage etc. I suspect Optus won't be flexible enough to be 'sensible' and just send another SIM. The modem is included free as far as they are concerned so if you place the order then get the modem and you're good to go.

The NBN idea is a good one. Presumably not an option yet. What postcode are you in?

Peter Gillespie

Yeldarb

You may get a quicker response by speaking with sales in the live chat below.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

Paddylee

Wireless broadband services do not data share with each other nor share with other services.

Cis documents for wbb have no data sharing detailed

Cis documents for mobile broadband/mobile plans have data sharing detailed. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

petergdownload

@Paddylee A good point to highlight, but I was more refering to the family mobile phone plans. Its possible a lot of the home broadband data could be used via the mobile data plans (if its not already)

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
69 Kudos
48 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos