cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor BitBackward
New Contributor

Migrating Optus cable & landline to NBN connection

Today the NBN technician installed the connection device to the landline phone outlet in the kitchen. When can I expect activation of my NBN plan so I can set up the phone to work through the internet? I have the Optus technician booked for next Monday so can I reconnect the phone until they arrive?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Migrating Optus cable & landline to NBN connection

You've paid extra for the Optus Setup? The NBN part is all done. Generally you can now just self activate. Call Optus anytime (or LIVECHAT) and just ask for the line to be activated. That's all the Optus technician will do.

But otherwise feel free to plug your old phone back in (you'll probably need to switch the phone cable from the back of the new modem to your old modem. Should work, but no harm trying and if it doesn't just put the cables back.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor BitBackward
New Contributor

Thanks for the response Peter. My problem is that our home phone is connected to the landline rather than the modem ie. we don’t have the phone set up as a net-phone. This is why our phone has been out of action since the nbn technician connected our landline to the fibre at the curb. 

I look forward to your response. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

Do you have the new modem now? At the back is a port for you to plug your current phone into. You might need to move it from where it is now at the moment to near the modem. We can discuss better long term options later. 

Not sure if you have a small NBN modem and a bigger Optus one? You should plug them into each other and the wall and then the phone into the Optus modem. You may get a dial tone immediately (though probably not). Then ring Optus and request the line be activated. They should be able to talk you through it.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos