cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Mail delivery failed for some domains

I have recently sent several messages to an iinet.net.au email address I use regularly, and they are bouncing with the following message:

all hosts for 'iinet.net.au' have been failing for a long time (and retry time not reached).

I have sent the same person messages from my cell phone (not using Optus), and they arrive.

The same thing happened with an email sent to a netspace.net.au address.

Why do they fail when sent via Optus NBN? Has Optus got something against domains that end in .net.au?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Mail delivery failed for some domains

I ran these two commands

nslookup

> set type=mx
> iinet.net.au
> exit

Reponds with "asav.iinet.net.au"

telnet asav.iinet.net.au 25

Response is

554-icp-osb-irony-in14.iinet.net.au
554 Your access to this mail system from 220.237.67.243 has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.

Connection to host lost.

which fits with what I guessed would be happening. Optus has been added to some mail server poor reputation list. Why? Someone on the optus network has been spamming, and as a result the entire optus mailserver has been badly rated in a mail rating system somewhere. These rating systems are sometimes dodgy - they can demand money to remove your mailserver from their "bad" list.

Probably get resolved soon. Google for mail server RBL to learn more if interested.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Update: my test wasn't ideal because i was connecting from own dynamic ip not mail.optusnet.com.au .

So I sent an email to test @ iinet.net.au via optus but have received nothing back as yet. Probably stuck in the retry system, which can take a day to move out of.
If you open up your bounce message you might see more in the headers (via Properties in Outlook).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @hvorrath, are you able to send email directly through → Webmail. If you are then it could be some settings in your email application. If not then I would recommend some → basic troubleshooting first.

If the issue still continues then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team either via the → messaging service or by calling them on 131344 - Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm Sat: 9am - 5pm AEST to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos