Searching...

Re: Ludicrously slow Apple downloads

possie

I'm another unhappy person trying to download El Capitan - I definitely don't have 6 days to wait for it!  (DSL)

Hurry up Optus and sort this out!

marknewton

Balderdust.

This problem has existed since October 3 and Optus has done NOTHING to resolve it. They are not going to fix it in the next 6 days. 

I have found a way to resolve it by Christmas however. My Telstra Gateway Max turned up today. As soon as it's enabled, I'll be cancelling my Optus account. This action by me is directly a result of Optus failing to resolve this DNS issue. I am absolutely sure I'm not the only person who has made this decision. 

Au revoir Optus, you clueless bozos. Viva Telstra!

yianni_s

been having really slow speeds to apple store and updating itunes on cable internet for weeks now and also on my  6s on the 4g plus network.  optus fix your network

Blew

I had the same problem, where downloading El Capitan was around 100KB/s.  Internode's DNS doesn't work for me, I can't even get to it to resolve names.  Microsoft's DNS does work, download starts at over 1MB/s, but then stops with "an error has occured" message and tells me to download again.  Tried this multiple times with same error.  Changed to use Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 and same issue!

Nghi

Apologies for all the inconvenience guys. We are aware of situation and our Network Team are investigating. It doesn't seem to affect all customers equally and as you have noticed some workarounds seem to be helping. We are working on permanent fix however we don't have an estimate yet on when it will all be resolved.

possie

December 24th - I tried again at about 7am this morning and had the download in just over 2 hours - quite an improvement over last weekend's advice of 6 days!  Took a while to install (an hour or so) but now my Mac is up and running.

Esther

Thanks for the update!

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

andrewtreloar

Any update on this? I just spoke to Optus Tech Support (admittedly Level 1) who told me the issue was with Apple's servers, even though I don't see the issue when I connect via a VPN to my work network.

possie

I had no problem on Dec 24th - as I posted at the time. Haven't had a need to download since.  Sounds like you are still finding it slow.

Hollie

Hey andrewtreloar

What you have described is correct, essentially the problem is with the way the traffic routes from our servers to Apple servers via our Network. We are working on trying to get this sorted but obviously it's something we've needed to engage other third parties about which is why it's taking some time to have this resolved for all customers. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
78 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
31 Kudos