Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Pozzie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Locked out of Modem setting website

Hi

I have a sagemcom 3864 ADSL modem.  I noticed that anyone using this desktop computer (even on a GUEST account) can open the sagemcom website (192.168...), adjust the settings and read the wifi network password (as set for the modem). 

I'd prefer this access was not available.  So I clicked on the modem set up screen (Advanced and then security) which said that I could disable access to the modem settings by anyone unless a new password was used which could be set on this particular page I was reading at the time (user name Optus; default first password Optus, changed password ***).  So I did so, clicked save and got a Windows Edge Screen that said to continue I'd have to enter a username and password to accept the change.  But which user name, password??  Tried the new Optus one, the microsoft account one: neither any use, and now I cannot access the sagemcom setup website to check/change any of its settings as all I get is the Windows Edge blocking screen.

modem block windows security.PNG

Any advice/help appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Locked out of Modem setting website

The username shouldn't change so it should be the same username and your new password. Try Admin or admin as the username with your new password if the Optus one doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Pozzie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Yeldarb

Tried that (user name=admin/Admin, password as selected) - no good.  So tried the opposite: Optus user name as originally suggested and Optus = password. 

That worked, its now open again and I think I'll forget using that form of access control.

Thanks for the logic: something must work.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It shouldn't be difficult. Just make sure you are in the correct section for changing the modem Administration and then type in a new password. There should be a save button on the page somewhere and some modems require a restart.

0 Kudos
Caledoz
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi @Pozzie on my modem, and it took me a loooong time and many phone calls (Optus either don't know or they do not want to tell us) it was:

Username: optus

Password: optus

Try it ( no capital letters) and let me know if it works.

0 Kudos
Pozzie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi

just to followup.  Somehow my message is getting lost.

1. I went to the change access page. I clicked on the question: do you want to have password controlled access to the modem setuppage? (or similar).  I clicked on that.

2. The next page allowed me to set up my password. The default username was Optus; the default password was Optus.  I entered a new password and clicked on Save.

3. That was when the system disallowed this change.  The first page said: Message. Not allowed (or something similar). The next page was the Microsoft Edge message.   And from then on I could  not access the modem setup details.

So the solution was to type in Optus for user name and Optus for the password in the Microsoft Edge form.  That seemed to cancel my attempt at access control and allow me to see the settings (though I am now back to where I started. Retyping Optus/Optus has closed off my attempt at access control.  Any user of this computer can access and change the settings - even if I set up a guest account).

So called it solved.

0 Kudos