cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor titchycats
New Contributor

Live chat unavailable, rude phone staff and useless internet!!

Our internet has been dropping out and has been even slower than usual today (it's always slow as anything anyway). We called and the guy was beyond rude and sarcastic, and basically told us that the only way our internet will ever work is if we lower our upload speed and basically don't use the internet. We already have speeds below what our contract promises and the staff never help us!!! Can't even get onto the chat to talk to someone. Plus everyone I speak to tells me something different. I am this close to completely cancelling my service and going anywhere else. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Live chat unavailable, rude phone staff and useless internet!!

Hmm usless maybe but I have known them to be rude. What sort of internet connection do you have and what speeds are you getting? Is there any particular time of day or night that the connection goes slow or drops out?

http://beta.speedtest.net/

0 Kudos
New Contributor

ADSL 2+. No particular time it drops out, it's varies. Speed is about 6mbps download, current is 6.33. current upload is 0.38mbps. our contract states above 8mbps I think. The staff member on the phone advise we need to stop uploading for our internet to work..

New Contributor

Internet has dropped out frequently since we got it back in April, btw. We haven't just had a bad week and cracked it or anything. We upgraded our plan and modem and it stopped working completely with new modem so we have since been paying for upgraded plan while still using old modem. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There are many things than can affect adsl speed and performance and the number one factor is distance. I believe Optus has a rough guide on speeds they would like to achieve but I have never seen them guarantee it in writing. I’m a bit confused with what you mean about Optus telling you to stop uploading. I’m also not sure what your upload speed is as 1Mbps is the maximum on adsl2 and you are getting 8Mbps? Do you know how far away from the exchange you are and is your old modem actually and old adsl 1 device?

Edit: That should say expecting 8Mbps instead of getting 8Mbps.

Top Contributors