cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor TrickyO
Occasional Contributor

Limited Broadband speed postcode 2229 - Optus websight reports 2 outages under investigation

My broadband download speed has been running at unusable speeds of less than 3Mbps for the last 4 days (on a 30Mbps business plan). The Optus Network Status has also indicated a live cable outage in our postcode for at least these days. In frustration I called Optus. The first thing the technician asked me to do was the obvious things I have already tried (rebooting the router etc). She then tried to tell me that if I have more than one dvice connected to my router I will get slower speeds (assumes I am an idiot). At the time of runing the speedtests I had one laptop connected via my LAN. So the assumption is always that there is something wrong with my end. I then said please check your network status as your website says there is an outage. She came back and said that since I didnt have FetchTV, it did not affect me (funny that FetchTV runs over the cable as well). Next she tells me there are no drop outs or congenstion in my area and that they will have to get a technician out, telling me I will be charge $90 if it is not an Optus Issue.

Today I check the nework outages for 2229 and there are two listed. I guess I will just have to wait for the technician to arrive tomorrow. I hope he doesnt just come out and tell me there is an outage in the area and nothing to do with our connection.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Limited Broadband speed postcode 2229 - Optus websight reports 2 outages under investigation

Probably over 50% of technical queries turn out to be something the customer has done or not done. Its nothing personal.

It sounds like the CS person checked some basics, confirmed the reported issues weren't related to your problem then arranged for a technician to come out and inspect the issue within a few days. You've been informed upfront that if the problem is something on your end then its a $90 fee.

Sounds like a pretty good performance to me?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Limited Broadband speed postcode 2229 - Optus websight reports 2 outages under investigation

Hi Peter,

I'm guessing you work for Optus. 

I'll provide further update once the Tech has been. Tonight my average download speed is 1.8Mbps. 

Now day 5 and getting worse not better. Left all my equipment off all night and re-powered up this morning, with no improvement. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Something some times assumed but no just a fellow customer. Smiley Happy

I'm not suggesting your internet isn't cactus, just that Optus seem to be doing ok trying to resolve the issue so far. 

I hope the technician finds a quick fix.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

So checked the speedtest the morning of the technician's visit and it was back to near normal. No more outage registered on the Optus website. Technician arrives (without any call 30 minutes prior as I was advised would be the case) and runs a speedtest, confirms there is nothig wrong at my end and that there was a partial outage in the area for the last 4 days combined with congestion. Which is why I called the support line in the first place to get an ETA on the fix and they denied there was an outage even though their website said there was. Net/net its back up and running and Optus has cost themselves a call out fee for no reason and wasted time for me. They could have just checked their own logs to determine that there was an outage.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I agree Optus do themselves no favours with the various disconnects between departments and services that appears to often hamper resolutions. Seems in this case the original CS agent was uninformed about the outage. That said it can sometimes be hard to define households affected by certain issues and as a partial 'outage' your address may not have been registring as one of the affected. 

Anyway, its good you got your speed back. Thanks for the follow up post.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors