Searching...
Highlighted

Leaving Optus; saving old emails

BillieBlue

Hi Optus peeps

Sadly, I'll be leaving Optus in the next few weeks; I've been with Optus since about July 2012.

I have a great deal of emails that I need to keep.  I'm using Microsoft Outlook [365] as my email application.  Via this, I have created .pst folders on my computer hard drive.

If I move my optusnet.com.au emails to the .pst file, will I still be able to VIEW them in full [including attachments], even though I'll no longer have my optusnet.com.au webmail address?

Thank you, Billie

Re: Leaving Optus; saving old emails

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

If you download them to your computer they will be available any time you wish. I would create a copy of your .pst file before you remove the Optus account from you Outlook settings as a precaution. Outlook needs to be closed to make a copy of your .pst.

BillieBlue

Thank you!

Let me run some tests, before you run away!

Billie

BillieBlue

Thanks again Yeldarb

I am therefore assuming that by saving my emails to a .pst file on my hard drive, I can view my old emails via the app Microsoft Outlook [or other email client] despite no longer having access to my originial web based optusnet.com.au address.  Is that correct?

Billie

petergdownload

As a backup you could also open a free GMail account. That can import everthing across automatically.

You'll possibly need a newemail address anyway and I don't recommend using any ISP provided one.

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Yes that is correct Billie providing you keep a copy of the .pst file you can still view all your emails without an email account. I do recommend making a backup copy as I do with my own .pst file every month. Depending on the file size a backup to a pen drive or external hard drive would be my suggestion.

Edit: Importing a .pst file into a different email client is possible but it would require professional assistance. The Outlook app does not support .pst files apparently Smiley Happy

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
73 Kudos
56 Kudos
50 Kudos
31 Kudos
20 Kudos