Searching...
Highlighted

Latency & Drop out issues. Unusable Connection.

Joshy1989

My partner and i just had our optus broadband connection moved from our rental property which was FTTP (NBN) and was excellent. no drop outs, low latency, good speeds.etc

Weve recently brought a house and had it moved to ADSL2 as there is not NBN availiable as of yet and its practially unusable for anything other than web browsing.

im no expert on latency and line attenuation but from what i can gather its pretty high. i have attached some speedtests done from a ethernet connection and some latency tests done from a WiFi connection. 

Can someone looks at these and tell me im not over reactinng.

Cheers, Josh

The 3 following speedtests were done at approx 8pm

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

while the following tests were done at 8am on a saturday morning

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture6.PNG

Capture8.PNG

Capture7.PNG

Re: Latency & Drop out issues. Unusable Connection.

Jeneral__Pain

The stats you posted for your modem indicates a heavy line issue. If you plug in a phone and dial "4" and just listen? Is it noisy or clear? 

If it is noisy, remove everything and just plug in the phone, still noisy? try a different phone?

reportNOISY VOICE FAULT, do not mention the DSL at all. This will only confuse them and delay the resolution. 

If the line is clear of any noise, do you use a DSL filter? If yes, remove it and see if your stats improve.

The downside, your stats suggest you are about 3.7km from the DSL Exchange port. So if the line is clear and not faulty, then you're going to struggle to get much more than you've got now.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Joshy1989

Hi, Jeneral_Pain

I havent got a phone to plug in, modern times call for mobiles only Smiley LOL

Im not using a DSL filter, the phone line enters the property and goes directly to one phone point in the house (RJ12)

the modem is plugged into this via a 6" RJ12 cable.

When the optus tech come out the DSL wasnt syncing but he said the phone line was damaged in the roof but he repaired it.

I'd be happy with the speed providing the latency was good. I opened up a game this morning and had a minimum latency of 375ms on all availiable servers. Making it unplayable.

Am i in no way comparing NBN to ADSL2+ because the two are completey different technologys but for a latency test to eastern states to still be that high?

and you are pretty close on the distance factor, estimated length of cable is 3.1 kms.

Capture9.PNG

when the ADSL is connected, do they connect both pairs at the exchange? im thinking if i can swap pairs at the RJ12 jack on my end maybe it will be a little better?

Thanks for your reply.

Jeneral__Pain

No, they do not always do both pairs.

The problem you're likely to have is, given your distance from the exchange at 3.1km and my math showing you are 3.7km means you probably won't get much speed. The hard part here is, FTTP being Optical has much less loss over distance than copper DSL2 service. 

Looking at what is going on here, the fact your downstream is below 1024 suggests that there is a line condition causing problems. 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Joshy1989

So in short I might just ring optus, explain the tests I've done and go from there. If something can be done all good if not I'll bear it out for 6 months until nbn is supposedly being installed.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
48 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos