Searching...

Landline phone number changed

[ Edited ]
Duh

I moved house in Feb. and without telling me, Optus changed my Phone number. I've had this number for 19 years and as it's tied to all my personal accounts I want it back. For 4 months I was told that I'd get the number back and they were working on it. Last week I was told that the number can't be changed back (even though it isn't being used) and I was stuck with the new number. I find this unacceptable, I want to cancel my contract with Optus without penalty. I'm finding it difficult to talk to anyone who cares. Any suggestions. 

Re: Landline phone number changed

petergdownload

Are you on contract now? Are there any penalties for exiting? First contact Optus and request this info. It sounds like you've been around for many years.

Not sure if you have any case numbers or references etc. But you should be able to just contact LIVECHAT, explain the issue and request the contract be moved to month to month without penalty. That way you can look to other providers and migrate to them in your own time before cancelling the contract if you decide. If you are on the NBN it should be very easy.

On the plus side, its much less necessary to keep a set phone number these days. Yes its a hassle updating some numbers but most communication is via email now and most people will just update your number under their contacts (many probably don't actually know your number). Small consolation I know.

Peter Gillespie

Duh

Hi Peter, thank you very much for responding. That's very good advice which I intend to follow as I am on a contract. I agree with you re the landline, I was just annoyed at the incompetence and the multiple calls to the help desk following a simple change of address. Sad part is, other than that stuff up, I actually like Optus. Thanks again. 

petergdownload

Yeah. Underneath it all Optus has a good product with good pricing. It does seem to shoot itself in the foot too often IMO with a support structure that is not working as well as it could be. I don't think it makes any difference what I say here, but I've been saying they need to empower their staff, improve their IT systems and most of all get support to take ownership of an issue rather than requiring the customer to be the one spending hours trying to chase up what should be relatively simple problems to solve.

But that's easy for me to say when I don't have to try shift 1000's of people and millions of $$$ towards that end. Its presumably financial, cultural and system issues that need to be addressed. IMO Optus are still too focused on minimising costs and extrracting money from unwitting customers (like the $10 per Gb usage charges etc.) for the 3rd or 4th largest Telco in the nation. But changing that means decisions being made way higher up than this forum Smiley Happy

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
48 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos