Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Landline not working with BYO router in FTTP connection

I bought a tp-link router AC5400 to replace the Optus supplied router in hope of boosting wifi performance and coverage.  During installation, I realised the new router does not have phone port for me to connect my cordless phone.  As my NBN connection is FTTP, I tried to connect my phone directly to the NBN box, but it didn't work.  Apart from the phone line, the new router works perfectly in the whole house including backyard!

Is there a way I can keep my phone line with the new router?  If not, I'll have to give up my landline.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Landline not working with BYO router in FTTP connection

@kkw wrote:

I bought a tp-link router AC5400 to replace the Optus supplied router in hope of boosting wifi performance and coverage.  During installation, I realised the new router does not have phone port for me to connect my cordless phone.

Even if the AC5400 had phone ports you could not use it with Optus phone as Optus does not provide the necessary VoIP info to configure it.

As my NBN connection is FTTP, I tried to connect my phone directly to the NBN box, but it didn't work.

That's because that is a data port not a phone port. The FTTP NBN box does have phone ports but Optus does not use them.

Is there a way I can keep my phone line with the new router?

Only way is to connect the Optus modem into the AC5400. Note that you will probably need to also configure the AC5400 before the phone on the Optus router will work in that configuration.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately Optus doesn't provide the VOIP codes for their landline. Its been a long standing complaint as other RSPs do. So unless the Optus modem is connected you won't have a landline. Options:

1) Use another RSP, one that allows you to BYO modem
2) Put the Optus modem and phone back in and then connect the new modem to it (turn off all features on the new modem except wifi)
3) Ditch the landline. Do you really need it? You'll save a $10? or so off your Optus bill.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your advice. Will go for option 3