cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Landline disconnected EVERY MONTH or so since August 2017

2016-08-01 was s my first entry re this sorry state of affairs (check it out).  And it is still ongoing.

Our landline is disconnected again today.

"Optus advises that the number you have dialled has been disconnected."

Time to contact the chat line. 

Again. 

The last contact about this same issue was LESS THAN 1 WEEK AGO!  

The problem is "fixed" by the Optus tech doing a Reset on the number (and a few more things - to divert our calls to mobile properly).

We will move our NBN, landline and mobiles to another telco after this.  

Below is the preious Chat session. And we will post today's chat here later.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Landline disconnected EVERY MONTH or so since August 2017

Date: Thu, Feb 22, 2018

Mark • 12:39 PM
Hi, this is Mark from the Broadband & NBN Technical Team, welcome to Optus LiveChat.
Mark • 12:39 PM
How can I help you ?
You • 12:40 PM
hi!
Mark • 12:40 PM
Hi, How can I help you ?
You • 12:40 PM
My name is Tony 
​xxxxx
, my company account is "
​xxxxx
". My DOB is 
​ xxxxxx
. Address 

xxxxxx , Q4870. I run a tour business 

xxxxxx  Optus landline 

xxxxxx Our Optus landline "IS DISCONNECTED" again; this has been happening about once a month since August 2017. Please do the following 4 tasks:- (1) Reset the landline service (2) Cancel diversion of calls to Optus mobile 

xxxxxx (3) Re-divert calls from landine to mobile 

xxxxxx (4) Set Ring On Landline to 0, and Ring On Diverted Number to 10 Thanks.
Mark • 12:42 PM
Thank you for the details, Tony.
You • 12:42 PM
you're welcome!
You • 12:42 PM
please help!
Mark • 12:43 PM
Just to confirm, you want me to do all the four task you have numbered.
You • 12:43 PM
yes PLEASE. thx.,
Mark • 12:44 PM
Okay! I will do this for you, please allow me 2-3 minutes to pull up the account details and make the changes.
You • 12:44 PM
thx
You • 12:45 PM
thx
Mark • 12:45 PM
You are most welcome.
You • 12:45 PM
(i was told last month this has been escalated to a higher level tech team, but obviously they have not found a cause and rectified it.)
Mark • 12:47 PM
Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Mark • 12:48 PM
Thank you for bringing this to me.
You • 12:53 PM
hello? are we still connected?
Mark • 12:53 PM
Yes, I am just trying to make the changes.
You • 12:53 PM
ok. thx. sorry for interrupting
Mark • 12:54 PM
Please stay connected as it is taking longer than expected.
You • 12:54 PM
sure. no worries.
Mark • 12:54 PM
Thank you.
it's not a simple thing.
(or it won't keep happening! ;-))
Mark • 12:56 PM
You • 12:57 PM
sure. as long as u keep chatting a one liner every 3 mins or so. so that i know we're not disconnected. THANKS
Mark • 12:58 PM
Sorry for the delay, I am still connected .
You • 12:58 PM
thx
Mark • 12:59 PM
Please stay connected, it is taking much longer than expected.
Mark • 01:03 PM
Thank for the wait, Tony.
Mark • 01:04 PM
As I checked there is some issue, and because of that I am unable to make any changes to your service.
You • 01:05 PM
it's a FTTP internet connection with landline (and a mobile phone). dunno why we are getting this 'disconnected landline' every month or so 😞 must be those two guys in optus cairns central store who hate us for complaining keep deleting our landline "at random"! those two idiots still have their jobs, while we loose $1,000s every month due to their stupidity. so. why can't you fix it???
You • 01:06 PM
what is the issue? is our account somehow unpaid??
Mark • 01:06 PM
I will go ahead and escalate this issue to the back end team and I will make sure that this time it get fixed permanently. 
sigh. okay.
so. what next?
Mark • 01:06 PM
I will also share the reference number with you regarding this.
Mark • 01:07 PM
Please give me 1-2 minute I will share the reference with you.
Mark • 01:10 PM
Your reference number for this issue is 
​xxxx
Mark • 01:11 PM
I have make a clear note to fix this issue permanently. 
Mark • 01:11 PM
Apart from this is there anything I can help you with ?
You • 01:11 PM
any idea of when all the tasks we need done might be done? (we need the landline diverted to our mobile, PLUS the mobile has to ring for longer than 2 rings). will that be done?
Mark • 01:13 PM
I'll be right with you.
Mark • 01:13 PM
You • 01:14 PM
sure. thx.
Mark • 01:15 PM
I have diverted home-phone to your mobile number and set it 8 rings.
You • 01:15 PM
good.
Mark • 01:16 PM
Please make a note of the reference number 
​xx
You • 01:16 PM
but does the "home" number ring or say, "Optus advises this number has been disconnected"?
Mark • 01:17 PM
Was it ringing earlier?
You • 01:17 PM
no!
You • 01:18 PM
that was on the first text i sent to you, Mark - that it responds with a "Optus advises this number has been disconnected" message when rung.
You • 01:19 PM
and it is fixed when you Reset the line. which then needs the diversion and number of rings adjusted
Mark • 01:19 PM
Not sure about this but as I am escalating this chat to the back end team, they will make the required changes and will inform you.
You • 01:20 PM
how much time must do you want us to wait before contacting Optus again?
You • 01:20 PM
(if it is not fixed)
Mark • 01:21 PM
If it not fixed, please come back after 24-48 hours and share your reference number.
You • 01:22 PM
that's $1,000s a day
not acceptable.
please transfer me to your supervisor
Mark • 01:24 PM
You • 01:24 PM
ok. thx.
Mark • 01:25 PM
As I have escalated this problem to the back end team, they will investigate regarding this issue and fix it and hence I will request you to allow us some time and we will have this resolved .
You • 01:26 PM
but 24 hours is not acceptable. the last time i contacted someone via Chat it was done in 5 mins. they reset the landline. cancelled the diversion. created the diversion to mobile again. and set number of rings.
You • 01:26 PM
did you reset the landline as i requested right in the beginning of this chat?
Mark • 01:28 PM
Yes I have rested it and removed the diversion, However I am also checking with the relevant team regarding it.
You • 01:28 PM
ahhh.
You • 01:29 PM
let me ring the landline then. if u have reset it it will ring
You • 01:29 PM
it's ringing!
Mark • 01:29 PM
Okay please check and let me know if it is working.
Mark • 01:30 PM
Great.
You • 01:30 PM
that's MOST important. cos it is terrible when our customers ring us and get a Business Closed sort of response message.
okay. thx for your work.
Mark • 01:30 PM
You are most welcome.
the call went to my mobile as required too.'
okay. thx. and HAND
Have A Nice Day
nothing else for today.
Mark • 01:31 PM
It was my pleasure assisting you.
You • 01:31 PM
happy it is "fixed"
You • 01:31 PM
bye
Mark • 01:31 PM
Thanks for taking the time to chat with us today. To end our chat just click the 'End Chat’ button on your chat window.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

4 days later!

Monday 26-Feb-2018​
another 1 hour chat

Trevor • 02:59 PM
Hi, this is Trevor from the Broadband & NBN Technical Team, welcome to Optus LiveChat.
You • 03:00 PM
Hi Trevor
Trevor • 03:00 PM
Hello.
You • 03:00 PM
My name is Tony xxx my company account is xxx My DOB is xxx Address xxx Q4870. I run a tour business xxx Optus landline xxx We are getting a "Optus advises that the number you have called has been disconnected" message again; this has been happening about once a month since August 2017. The last time this happened was on Thu 22-Feb-2018. Please do the following 4 tasks:- (1) Reset the landline service (2) Cancel diversion of calls to Optus mobile xxx (3) Re-divert calls from landine to mobile xxx (4) Set Ring On Landline to 0 rings, and Ring On Diverted Number to 8 rings Please action immediately.
Trevor • 03:00 PM
Hi 🙂
You • 03:01 PM
BTW, the reference number on Thursday 22-Feb-2018 was xxx
Trevor • 03:02 PM
Okay, thank you for the details.
Trevor • 03:02 PM
Allow me a moment here to check regarding the issue.
You • 03:02 PM
you might want to pass this to your supervisor immediately
You • 03:03 PM
my chat on thursday took 1 hour, so please don't waste your time and mine again
Trevor • 03:04 PM
I'll be right with you.
You • 03:04 PM
thanks
Trevor • 03:05 PM
Please allow me a moment I am currently checking on that.
Trevor • 03:07 PM
Can you help me with your landline number?
You • 03:07 PM
i have stated it above. why do u need to ask me again?
Trevor • 03:09 PM
Trevor • 03:09 PM
Okay, I am unable to access it. Could you confirm me, Is this the number xxx
You • 03:10 PM
xxx
You • 03:10 PM
have u tried ringing it?
Trevor • 03:11 PM
No, thank you I pulled up your details.
You • 03:15 PM
please ring it. u will hear the problem immediately. then fix it with the 4 steps i have outlined in my first statement. (i have done this more times than you can imagine, i KNOW what needs to be done to resolve this problem which is costing us $1,000s a day.) after that put me to your supervisor. i want to hear his/her explanation as to why this is taking so long to fix permanently, why is it happening every month, and why NO ONE has bothered to contact us from Optus - it's been 5 months.
Trevor • 03:17 PM
You • 03:17 PM
ok
Trevor • 03:18 PM
There seems to be a fault within the line, I am checking this with my relevant team.
You • 03:19 PM
i doubt that. if it is a fault :within the line" one would get a busy tone or it would ring out. not a message saying "Optus advises the number you have dialed has been DISCONNECTED"!!
Trevor • 03:20 PM
We have made the necessary changes and gave a test call, it is ringing now.
Trevor • 03:21 PM
Can you check and let me know, if it is working now.
You • 03:21 PM
checking now. i'll be right with you...
Trevor • 03:21 PM
Sure.
You • 03:23 PM
it is ringing. it is being diverted to the mobile. it is ringing more than 6 times (instead of just 2 rings). good!
Trevor • 03:23 PM
Do you have a dial tone?
You • 03:23 PM
yes, we have a dial tone.
Trevor • 03:24 PM
Are you able to make out going calls?
You • 03:24 PM
yes
You • 03:25 PM
when is this going to be "disconnected" again??
Trevor • 03:26 PM
It will not disconnect your phone number, there might have been some backend issue, is it fine if we remove call diversion and thencheck?
You • 03:27 PM
no. we need the call diversion. as the person who needs the call is out on the boat tour today. if you want to do checks, contact us first.
Trevor • 03:29 PM
Trevor • 03:30 PM
I have checked from my end and everything is fine and there are no fault in your phone line.
You • 03:32 PM
yes, the line is and always has been fine. it's the software. or the fact someone in Optus is deliberately 'cancelling' our landline purposely.
You • 03:32 PM
how can we check?
You • 03:33 PM
the question to ask your Problem Resolution Team is Why Is This Happening Every Month or so??
You • 03:33 PM
has this been escalated to a higher Problem Resolution Team, if not why not??
Trevor • 03:33 PM
It does not cancel your number, if there are any fault in the backend server then there might be a message in the phone line as "Optus re-grate that the number is been disconnected"
Trevor • 03:34 PM
In that time you can just reset your modem and it should be fixed.
Your number will remain the same.
It will not be disconnected.
You • 03:34 PM
did you reset the NBN modem in our premise remotely??
Trevor • 03:35 PM
I have reset your Internet line from my end.
You • 03:37 PM
we tried by turning Off and On again the NBN modem in our premise. it made no difference. also our NBN is working perfectly when the Optus Advises The Number You Have Dialed Has Been Disconnected message is being played. so it is not OUR modem. there is something wrong with YOUR system at HQ. we are on FTTP by the way.
You • 03:38 PM
so the NBN is fine. but the VoIP landline is faulty. how can that be our end modem fault?
Trevor • 03:39 PM
I'll be right with you.
You • 03:39 PM
thx
Trevor • 03:41 PM
Trevor • 03:41 PM
This issue happen because of the line or modem issue. Please do the hard reset the modem.
Trevor • 03:42 PM
Modem reset
You can locate the Reset button on the back of the modem
Click and hold the Reset button for approximately 5 seconds while the modem is turned ON.
You will need a paperclip, pin or fine tipped pen to press the button
You • 03:46 PM
no. the last time you told us to do that we had to pay $100s for our printer tech to come and reset our printers. the NBN is fine. the VoIP landline service is fine. then the landline stops with that error message. we touch nothing. not a cable. not the modem. send an engineer if you think the problem is with YOUR modem in our office. when he or she leave everything must be working as it is now.
You • 03:46 PM
by the way, this is the 3rd modem from you.
You • 03:48 PM
so hardly likely this is a modem issue at our end. more likely something within your system software settings.
Trevor • 03:48 PM
Have you done it right now?
You • 03:48 PM
anyway, we are moving our service to another telco. you will be hearing from the TIO
You • 03:49 PM
it is working now and you are not helping by asking us to reset the modem printers and laptops.
contact us when you are ready to send the engineer.
thx.
bye for now?
Trevor • 03:50 PM
Is it working now?
You • 03:51 PM
yes of course. (we touched nothing after you said it was fixed earlier)
send an engineer if you want to reset or change the router. and make sure our printers and laptops continue to work after that.
thx
Trevor • 03:53 PM
If It works then why you want for the engineer.
You • 03:54 PM
cos this happens every few weeks. and less than a week since the last "Optus advises that the number you have dialed has been disconnected" failure.
You • 03:55 PM
something is wrong. you need to fix it permanently. we will be raising this with TIO as every time this happens we lose $1,000s in sales.
Trevor • 03:57 PM
Trevor • 03:59 PM
Sorry to keep you waiting this is taking longer than I thought, I'll be right back with you.
Trevor • 04:00 PM
I do understand your concern, As I made some necessary changes from my end I hope you will not face this issue again.
You • 04:00 PM
fingers crossed! 🙂
Trevor • 04:01 PM
Yeah, I am sure you will not face this type of issue again:)
You • 04:02 PM
"sure"? hahaha. let's see.
Trevor • 04:02 PM
Is there anything else I can help you with?
You • 04:02 PM
NBN, landline and mobile are working. so, no. nothing more today. thx.
Trevor • 04:03 PM
You are welcome.
Trevor • 04:03 PM
Thanks for taking the time to chat with us today. To end our chat just click the 'End Chat’ button on your chat window.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

So today the new "thought bubble" is that our own internal Optus router is faulty and needs to be be hardware reset.  The last times we did this our printers, PC and laptops did not work and we had to pay $100s to get a tech out to fix that.  This is our 3rd Optus modem, by the way.  

And, if it IS our internal modem, why would NBN work perfectly but not our VoIP?? And why have a "has been disconnected" message? Wouldn't the number simply ring out or be busy? Simple process of elimination Optus! 

If you want to fix the problem properly, be proactive.  Get an engineer to call us. Or send someone out.  We'd endured 5 hours on the Chat line with you.  The least you could do is show you care. Our bills are paid monthly and on the dot.  So much for loyalty.

This still seems to be as a result of our landline being stuffed up by the two idiots at Optus Cairns Central store. They ordered a new landline number for us (a number we are known by, also painted on our buses and boats for decades). So cancel the incorrect order and place a fresh new one. Simple right?  No! And they refused. So then it took months to get that sorted out (read my other post).

Sux. Optus Cairns Central, or Optus in general?  

Stay tuned......  ! 

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Just been informed that when someone rings our landline they get the "Optus advises the number you have dialed has been disconnected" message.  AGAIN

It's been only 10 days since we last had to sit on the Optus Chat line for an hour to fix this same problem, and it has been happening regularly for several months now.  Our NBN is fine (this is a VoiP service). Our account is auto-paid and never outstanding.  Time to get on the Chat line again.....  

Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hi @skris88, not the sort of experience you should be having with this, I do apologise.

How did you go with this since posting?

If you still need assistance, please PM me with your landline number so I can run a few tests on our end for you. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alex

Will post the call chat below.  In the end the new question put to me was perhaps because of the diversion.

We then tested the number.  We had to get 3 persons involved.  We all went into the office and Person A rang our landline which then rang on the moble of Person B.  While both were talking Person C called the landline again.  The person simply got a continual ring tone until it cut off after about a minute. Person B who had received the first landline call did not receive a Call Waiting beep.  Person C did not get the dreded "The number you have dialed has been disconnected message" either (phew).

I will send the landline number to your PM. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Oh. That is not all!

Someone from Optus remotely reset our router.

We only realised this after we were unable to print on Friday.  A tech was called out and the WiFi SSID had gone back to default (luckily the main PC had the previous setting stored). However all other PCs, smartphones, tablets and printers had lost their Internet connection. 

It will be nice if someone from Optus called and warned us about this....  

Please restore the SSID (and PW) if you wish to reset the router remotely without telling us.

It is easier to change the setting in the router then multiple devices whenever you replace the router (we have had multiple router changes in the past).

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

HERE IS THE CHAT OF FEBRUARY 8TH...

Andre • 04:06 PM
Hi, this is Andre from the Broadband & NBN Technical Team, welcome to Optus LiveChat.
You • 04:06 PM
Hi Andre
Andre • 04:06 PM
How can I assist you today?
we're having this problem again
https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Landline-disconnected-EVERY-MONTH-or-so-since-A...
Andre • 04:07 PM
Let me check on the issue ..
Andre • 04:08 PM
I just need to get some details from you. I will be sending you a slider .Please fill the required fields.
You • 04:09 PM
My name is Tony xxx my company account is "xxx". My DOB is xxx. Address xxx. I run a tour business www.xxx.com.au Optus landline xxx
You • 04:10 PM
T​he last time this happened and we contacted you was just 10 days ago on February 26th.​
You • 04:10 PM
Please do the following:- (1) Reset the landline service (2) Cancel diversion of calls to Optus mobile xxx (3) Re-divert calls from landine to mobile xxx (4) Set Ring On Landline to 0, and Ring On Diverted Number to 10 Please action immediately.
Andre • 04:11 PM
okay thank you.
Andre • 04:16 PM
I see calls are diverted to xxx
You • 04:16 PM
it's ringing now. whatever u did has worked. thanks.
You • 04:17 PM
(what did u do?)
Andre • 04:18 PM
I see that the call forwarding when busy was not enabled, hence I just enabled it
You • 04:18 PM
when i rang the number 30 mins ago i go this message, "Optus advises that the number you have called has been disconnected". why?
You • 04:19 PM
so, it is just possible it is working okay except the message is wrong??
Andre • 04:20 PM
Yes, maybe or the temporary the service was down for a few minutes,
That's all.
You • 04:21 PM
perhaps this time. we have hotels who call us to book tours saying they cannot get through for days. 😞
Andre • 04:22 PM
Okay, Did you contact us during that time.
You • 04:22 PM
yes. many times! this has been happening since august. every 4 or 5 weeks or so. now it seems to be happening more frequently.
You • 04:23 PM
and if you check your trouble records, you will see tech support say they have reset our service - then it works again.
Andre • 04:24 PM
Okay , thank I see the notes.
You • 04:25 PM
is there a way to see how many incoming calls have been received by that landline (or diverted to mobile) each day??
You • 04:26 PM
no. let me change that request...
You • 04:26 PM
is there a way to see how many incoming calls have rung on that landline (or diverted to mobile) each day?
Andre • 04:27 PM
I am sorry , we cannot have check on that done or keep a check on that .
You • 04:28 PM
i understand. it will be HEAPS of data to do that kind of detailed logging for everyone. but it should be possible to enable that on a case by case basis.
You • 04:28 PM
Optus needs to get to the bottom of this.
You • 04:29 PM
when a line is busy there should be a busy signal sent to the caller, not a "Optus advises that the number you have called has been disconnected" message 😞
Andre • 04:30 PM
Yes, I can understand , but if there were way to track the calls I could have suggested you this ,

But from my I am afraid I see that this cannot be done.
You • 04:30 PM
time to escalate this 'issue' into a "problem" then.
Andre • 04:30 PM
Okay is this only when the number is busy that the other people hear it as the number is disconnected ?
You • 04:31 PM
i don't know that
You • 04:31 PM
only something i am thinking of, because of what you have said
You • 04:32 PM
what we will do is test that. have someone call the landline and while the caller is talking to them on the mobile where it gets diverted to, have another person call the landline.
You • 04:32 PM
it is possible that is what is happening. (although i very much doubt that). we will do that and get back to you.
Andre • 04:33 PM
Okay sure.
You • 04:33 PM
as it is ringing now and not giving the "Optus advises that the number you have dialed has been disconnected" message that is all for today. thx for your help (whatever it is you did! ;-))
Your welcome.
ok. have a nice day.
bye
Thank you for taking time to chat with us.
Please click "END CHAT" button to end the chat
Please feel free contact us anytime.
Have a great day ahead.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Have had some Private Messages with Optus through this forum and they've done some checks etc.

I responded the system as tested fine today, ie. Internet is good, landline rings out fine, and incoming calls to landline diverted to mobile as required which rings multiple times (instead of just twice and cutting off as can sometimes happen).  

Fingers crossed this will work for the next 24 months (and not just 24 days - or less!)

0 Kudos