Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
morocco52
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Landline Voicemail

I would like to know is there anybody out there who has experienced the sheer incompetence that I have experienced with Optus, particularly Live Chat, with so called technical experts with, in my case, trying to remove the voicemail feature on my landline and removal of the voucemail dial tone from the phone. I have been with Optus for at least two years and recently changed my plan. It appears to me that Optus automatically includes voicemail with your plan WITHOUT ASKING if you want it!!! Okay, so I say to them that I don’t want it as I have an answering system with my phone. Okay, they tell me it has been now deleted from the landline service but the problem is I am stuck with this annoying Voicemail dial tone. THEY have no idea how to remove it! So, I say to myself, I will have it re-installed so I can access it and solve the problem. NO NO NO that’s not the answer because when I now use the STAR 96 (*96) function to access voicemail it’s telling me the landline number is not valid. So, I ring the fabulous 133... number to make a complaint. Do you think there is any way to speak to a real person to make a complaint or, heaven forbid it, solve my actual problem. You guessed it!! Back to Telstra in two years is all I can say. You are a complete disgrace to communications Optus.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Landline Voicemail

Hey @morocco52, thanks for raising this with us and my apologies for the difficulties you've had getting this sorted. When does this voicemail dial tone you've mentioned play? Is the phone ringing and then going to the dial tone after a set amount of time?

How does the answering system in your phone work? Does it know when to record a message on your end, and are you able to modify the settings?

On our end, voicemail is pretty much just an on/off switch so I'm not sure off the top of my head what could be causing this. Please feel free to send me a private message with your account number, full name and DOB so I can double check the options on our end.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
morocco52
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Landline Voicemail

Toomey - appreciate your reply to my post and I assume from your reply you are connected with Optus in an official capacity? My problem was so simple to my way of thinking. I was given Landline Voicemail by Optus without a request from me - FIRST MISTAKE made by Optus. My SECOND MISTAKE was to attempt to have it and its tone, sounding at all times on picking up the phone, removed via Live Chat. From Live Chat I was advised that the landline voicemail had been removed from my service. The voicemail tone remained however and after several attempts to gain assistance from Live Chat to cancel the tone I gave up in disgust. I then decided that I should have it re-installed so I could access it myself via the *96 voicemail system. A Live Chat had it re-installed and after waiting many hours I picked up the phone, still having the voicemail dial tone, and dialled *96. THIRD MISTAKE by Optus - the *96 response over the next day or so was that my landline number entered was invalid. This continued, I basically gave up. A day or so later I installed the new modem I had. The next time I picked up my landline the dial tone was normal.

In no way did Optus solve this issue so it should not be marked as such. The Live Chat facility to me is totally useless. I have no issue with the people manning this facility and I have no doubt they would be lowly paid. I also have no doubt that the majority have very little technical ability to solve problems. It is a second rate response and unsatisfactory to paying customers. I am afraid I really have to seriously consider another carrier due to this experience. I spent days on this, even ringing the 133937? number to complain without finding any way to do this via that system. I also nominated to be rung back by Optus on this matter - FOURTH MISTAKE - it didn’t happen. It’s simply just not good enough. 

0 Kudos