cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is the 4G Home Broadband modem network locked

I have one of the 4G Mobile Home Broadband packages. Came with the new modem which I'm quite impressed with.

NBN has now rolled out in my suburb (6 months earlier than we expected) so I'm considering what I can do with the 4G modem after I pay out my contract.

Ideally I'd like to keep it as and just purchase an Optus SIM if the NBN goes down. Or even put in my phone SIM in a pinch.

So does anyone know:

* Is it SIM locked - i.e. to the SIM I got with the 4G home broadband

* Will it work with other Optus data/mobile sims

* Will it work with SIMS from other providers using the Optus network

* Finally will it work with other network providers

Tried contacting Optus about this but their support is shocking at the moment.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Is the 4G Home Broadband modem network locked

* Is it SIM locked - i.e. to the SIM I got with the 4G home broadband

No - only the plan (sim is locked to specific models)

* Will it work with other Optus data/mobile sims

Yes

* Will it work with SIMS from other providers using the Optus network

Yes

* Finally will it work with other network providers

Yes

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

1) The modem will not be SIM locked, what ever that is as I have swapped SIMS in various Optus supplied mobile modems this year and none were locked to a specific SIM.

2) Yes the modem will work with other SIMS that Optus indicate are compatible with the modem plan that is purchased. Optus current 200 & 500GB home wireless broadband plan SIMS are supposed only work in certain modems, bt the list is not complete as I have used one of the SIMS in a different Optus supplied modem that was not in the list and it worked fine

3) As you have not given the model number you are best to go and buy a cheap Telstra or Vodafone SIM at Coles or Wollies and give it a try.

4) See response to 3) above.  Another issue you may find is that when used with Telstra or Vodafone you may get worse or better speeds, but most of the modems should support a few of the Telstra and Vodafone mobile bands.  I found that in the area I am in Telstra is the fastest and Vodafone the slowest and Optus if there are no issues with the tower are only about 20% slower than telstra, but it can vary allot due to congestion and Optus faults.

The SIM is locked to Optus and any usage is billed to your Optus account.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I've got a Telstra Sim in my phone so I'll try that. Good idea.
0 Kudos