Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
MrPatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Is Optus going to match TPG ?

I see TPG is offering $69.99 on NBN 50 Unlimited. I was wondering if Optus is going to match this or will I just switch to TPG ? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Is Optus going to match TPG ?

I guess we'll see. 

Fwiw Optus offer 25mbps unlimited for $80. That also comes with a (loaned) $400 fetch PVR & EPL etc. They may not be important to you though.

Nbn co has essentially been offering the 50mbps band to the telcos for no extra cost over 25mbps and mamymany te have just been bumping users up to the 50 tier for no cost. Optus is yet to do anything officially, but I got bumped a tier for free without request so perhaps contract live chat and see what they'll do. Optus does tend to provide better offers to those that ask.

Also fwiw cheap unlimited NBN plans are a bit of a trap imo. ISPs are still pricing pre NBN prices and cutting bandwidth in peak hour to cover costs. Do some research on say Whirlpool as to actual performance. Imo a ISP offering a fixed monthly amount (1tb?) And thet month to month contract (not a 24 month plan) might be the way to go.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Remember cheap means no service if something goes wrong. Already enough complaints to Optus.

MrPatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So I got onto Optus today via live chat, and gave them my account number, name, date of birth and explained what the issue was. 
My account includes NBN , home phone and mobiles. 
First answer was " we dont do price matches ". Hmmm
So what could you do for me? " go on the $60 plan you will get unlimited NBN."
I am on the $60 plan with speed pack 2 added I said. My speed at my end is 13. 53 Mbps, should be 25 Mpbs. 
" well you have a technical issue, I will put you through to support ". 
Didn't I just read an apology about less than expected speeds and remedies to apply ? 
" silence " " do you want tech support " No , not really, its been like that for 2 years. 
Very helpful son, very helpful. Not.  

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'm surprised you're on 25Mbps on the $60 plan. That plan is hard coded to 12Mbps. Usually the only way to get more is re-sign to the $80 plan. (Sounds like you are on the $80 plan?)

Are you on FTTN NBN? Or one of the other technologies? Do you ever get ~25Mbps or is 13.53 the highest you can do? Have you asked Optus to do a speed test on your line and tell you what your max possible speed is? How are you measuring your speed? Is it over wifi or wired?

FWIW peak hour congestion is a significant issue at the moment and one completely under the control of the ISP. Its why there have been suggestions in this thread that buying the cheapest unlimited plan you can find is not necesarily a good path to take.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
MrPatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

When I signed up 2 years ago it was 12.5 mbps unlimited for $60. 
I increased it to speed pack 2  pretty quickly, as it was dismal. 
I get a discount for having the mobiles with Optus too, off the NBN. I think its $10.
Currently pay $70. I am definitely on the $60 plan though with speed pack 2.
We are on FTTN and have never got more than around half. 
I just ran the Ookla speed test then and we are on 9 mbps at the moment. It is wired to my 27" mac. 
On the "Fast" test I am on 7.2 mbps. This is at 11.45pm, hardly peak hour. I can ask them to do a speed test on the line tomorrow.
We have 3 users maximum in the house , 2 use Netflix in the evening, I watch a bit of IView and surf. Sometimes Netflix.
I am the only user on at the moment. The other two are on wireless and both get buffering on Netflix. 
Not exactly heavily congested !

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That matches with some of the CIS. Perhaps it was only cable (pre NBN) users that got stuck on 12 Mbps

Currently Optus don't offer a Tier 2 option (for new users) in the CIS. It seems Tier 2 is the same proce as tier 3 ($15 more). So if you wanted to pay $5 more than now you would get access to 50 download and 20 upload (this tier is a much more suitable match to your household use by the way)

FWIW the Telcos shouldn't have been selling the 12Mbps Teir 1 plan. Intead they bundled it with unlimited data and pushed it so hard over half of new users took the option. As you found almost straight away its woefully underpowered (but hey, its "unlimited" so that's got to be good right Smiley Happy)

FWIW your household usage is above average and as I mentioned the 50/20 plans would be a much better fit. However that's no use if you don't get more than 10Mbps anyway. If you try pay the extra $5 Optus will definitely run a line check and inform you of the max likely speed you can get. 

The congestion I'm talking about is not your household data use but the bandwidth Optus purchace from the NBN now (all Telcos do). If they don't purchase enough then you get peak hour slow down. But if you're still getting less than 15Mbps at any time of day then Optus would definitely owe you compensation as you mention. They should have contacted you by now though if they thought you were a candidate.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
MrPatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

After many changes of department and disconects on the phone( 2 hrs worth) finally a real person who understood the problem! 
A line speed check from Optus says my line is capable of 68,000 kbps ( I guess ). 
So why is my speed at the moment 11.74 on Ookla ? ' Well, they dont know. '
My modem shows its 'connected' at 28,000.' Hmmm, still dont know.' But at least she was nice and polite. Put me back to sales to come up with a compromise and a speed increase , no sorry , another hour on hold or getting switched around depts. 
Its funny cos the first guy this morning said " we will solve this, we dont want to lose you as a customer ", nice guy too , put me through to nowhere. That TPG offer is looking better and better ! 

0 Kudos