cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Invalid sim error

Purchased a home internet service with Optus for 200G of 4g data in July 2019.

I bought the AC800S modem from Optus

I did not like this modem so upgraded to a D-Link 4G LTE Wi-Fi AC1200 Router DWR-956 with the following specs:

Share your 3G/ 4G connection with built-in standard-size SIM Card Slot

Simultaneous Dual-Band: Deliver faster Wi-Fi speeds of up to 1,200Mbps1

LTE Bands: 1 / 3 / 7 / 8 / 20 / 28 (2100/ 1800/ 2600/ 900/ 800/ 700 MHz)

UMTS / HSDPA / HSUPA Bands: 1 / 8 (2100/ 900 MHz)

GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE: 3 / 8 (1800/ 900 MHz)

Gigabit Ethernet: Provides fast wired connectivity with one dedicated Gigabit WAN for NBN/ UFB connectivity and 4 Gigabit LAN ports

VoIP Enabled: Connect your phone to make VoIP calls

NOTE: To use the VoIP capability, you will need to obtain your VoIP account settings from your Service Provider

Two Detachable 4G LTE Antenna with SMA connectors

This I used for the last 12 months with no problems.

In January of 2021 I decided to change plan and upgrade to the 500G plan which I was told by Stefan from Optus that I could do for $67.50 per month.

I agreed to this and was sent a new Sim card

I put the new sim card into my modem and upon trying to connect to the internet received an 'invalid sim' “Looks like you’ve tried to put your SIM into the wrong device.” error in my Chrome browser

This in itself proves that the sim card is working and is able to access the internet and the optus page and Optus have locked it out of the rest of the internet

I contacted Optus and they told me that the new sim card was not compatible with my Optus AC800S modem, I told them several times that I was no longer using this modem.

Eventually the operator said I could upgrade the original Sim card to the 500G plan but it was going to cost me $7.50 more per month than what I had been told originally

Note, it is the same 4G service

I agreed to this and my original plan was upgraded to a 500G limit

Several hours later I attempted to connect to the internet using the original sim card I had been using for 18 months and what should have been a simple upgraded data limit

I now get the same 'invalid sim' error message stating that my sim card is not compatible with this modem, even though it is the same Sim card I have been using.

It is obvious that Optus have locked the service to modem manufacturers that they sell and are not allowing people to use their own modems.

I have not been able to elicit a reason from anyone from Optus as to why this is the case

I strongly feel that this is extremely immoral at best and if not illegal then surely very close to it.

I paid a lot of money for the modem / router that I wanted because I did not like the one supplied by Optus, I should be free to choose the manufacturer of modem that I like.

I have spoken to 4 people at Optus and got nowhere

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Invalid sim error

Hi @timf66 thanks for reaching out. It's not great to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Wireless Broadband Service.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. Our team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

We're also available to assist via Social Media. Please send us a private message to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance.

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

With respect, I have now spoken to five of your staff and they keep repeating the same line that I must have a compatible modem. I keep saying, I have been using that modem with that same sim and service for 12 months, how does it become no longer compatible after changing the data limit?

I think Optus locking a person into their modem to remove the competition is immoral at best and if not illegal should be.

0 Kudos

I can understand where you're coming from, @timf66

Generally speaking, we can only support modems which have been approved. However, as we're always looking to improve this, I'll be sure to pass this onto our relevant teams to review for you. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Very helpful, just unlock the damn sim card like it was unlocked before

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I suspect that you have actually been on 2 different types of plan, which will cause your issues.

Original plan - 200GB of 4G Mobile Internet (sold between $60 and $80/month depending when you signed up and which specials were in place).  This SIM can be used in any data device (such as 4G modems, hotspots and tablets) and isn't speed limited.

New plan - 500GB of 4G Home Internet (see https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/4g-home-internet/huawei/b818).  The CIS linked under the plan details states these new plans "can only be used with the Optus-supplied modem."  In the case of the 4G Home plans, it was the Huawei B818.  I think it's a historical link to when the Home 4G plans used to be speed limited.

I think your only solution would be to make sure that you have been put back on the same plan as you had previously (the plan ID should show on your bill) and then go and get a replacement SIM activated at your local store.  I don't believe that an old SIM can be reactivated after it's been cancelled, hence why you would be getting an invalid SIM error.

Please note that I do not work for Optus, and the above is an opinion only.

---

Please note that I am not employed by Optus and as such any views are my own and the information provided is (at best) general only and does not take into account your dreams, aspirations or financial circumstances.

New Contributor
New Contributor

I am currently using the old sim (with the updated data plan) in the original AC800 modem I got from Optus, proving that they are simply locking the sim from all other modems. The sim that is now working in the AC800 is the exact sim on the exact plan except the data change that used to work in my D-Link modem until they accidentally reset the Optus lock

0 Kudos